Plant City High School
|Plant City High School|
|1 Raider Place
Plant City, Florida 33563-7199
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Colour(s)||Teal and Orange|
|Rival||Durant High School, Strawberry Crest High School|
The Plant City High School is a public high school in Plant City, Florida, United States and is part of the Hillsborough County Public Schools. The current school building was completed in 1972 on Maki Road, now called Raider Place.
Plant City High School
The old Plant City High School
|Location||605 N. Collins St.,
Plant City, Florida
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Georgian Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||81000194|
|Added to NRHP||February 4, 1981|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Old Plant City High School.|
The original school is located at 605 North Collins Street. It was built in 1914 and designed by Tampa-based architect Willis R. Biggers. The original building now houses a community center and historical society and was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 1981.
In May 2006, Plant City High School was recognized as one of the top 1000 high schools in America by Newsweek magazine. Advance placement examination participation at PCHS has tripled since 2000, the largest increase in the district. Nearly 20% of the 2006 graduates passed an AP exam while in high school. Seven of the teachers are Nationally Board Certified.
The current principal is Mrs. Susan Sullivan.
Plant City was one of 16 schools nationwide selected by the College Board for inclusion in the EXCELerator School Improvement Model program beginning the 2007-2008 school year. The project was funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Arthur Cox, former NFL player
- Derrick Gainer, former NFL player
- Kenny Rogers (1982), Major League Baseball pitcher
- Chad Scott (1999), college football coach
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Plant City High School Community Center".
- "East Hillsborough Historical Society". Arts Council of Hillsborough County. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
- "Florida - Hillsborough County". NRHP. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
|This article about a property in Hillsborough County, Florida on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Florida school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|