Plantation Estate is a single-story, wood-frame, 5,000-square-foot (460 m2) Pacific Ocean-front house at 57 Kailuana Place in Kailua, Honolulu County, Hawaii, which President Barack Obama rented for use as a Winter White House during his Christmas vacations from 2008 to 2011.
The house is less than a mile south of the Marine Corps Base Hawaii. Obama worked out at the Semper Fit Center at the base and attended dinners there during his visits. He also swam in the ocean at the base of Pyramid Rock.
- August 8–14, 2008 - Obama visited Kailua August 8–14 during the 2008 U.S. Presidential Election campaign staying at a different house belonging to Jill Tate Higgins, the general partner of Lakeside Enterprises, a Burbank, California private family investment company. During the visit he made what would be his last visit with his grandmother Madelyn Dunham who had raised him in Honolulu from age 10 on.
- December 20–31, 2008 - Obama in his first visit to Plantation Estate took a two-week vacation after winning the election. Among the activities was the scattering of his grandmother's ashes at Lanai Lookout at the same location where he had scattered his mother Stanley Ann Dunham's ashes in 1995. His grandmother had died two days before Obama's election. Photographs of him shirtless on the beach and looking buff were widely circulated.
- December 24, 2009 – January 3, 2010 - During the visit he went to his maternal grandfather Stanley Armour Dunham's grave at National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. Obama's trip was cut short after he dealt with the attempted Christmas bombing of Northwest Flight 253. Obama was at the house from December 24 to January 3.
- December 23, 2010 – January 3, 2011 - Obama arrived on December 23 for a planned 11-day visit. His arrival was one day late because of the lame duck congress approval of the New START treaty. Michelle Obama, Malia Obama and Sasha Obama and Bo (dog), left for Hawaii on December 18 flying on a C-40B Special Mission Aircraft. Press reports indicated that her not flying with the President cost $63,000 to $100,000 additional for the trip. He extended his departure date one day to January 4. During the vacation he made recess appointments of James M. Cole to be United States Deputy Attorney General, William J. Boarman to Public Printer of the United States, Matthew Bryza to be United States Ambassador to Azerbaijan, Norman L. Eisen to be ambassador to the Czech Republic, Robert Stephen Ford to ambassador to Syria and Francis J. Ricciardone, Jr. to be United States Ambassador to Turkey. During the trip Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie who knew Obama and his family as a child said he would seek to find a way to release the original birth certificate showing that Obama was born in Hawaii and not in Kenya as birthers have argued. He also dined with his half sister Maya Soetoro-Ng at Alan Wong's Restaurant near his boyhood home in Honolulu. Other destinations have been snorkeling with family at Hanauma Bay on a Tuesday when the bay is normally closed to tourists. Obama's reading list for the trip included The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell, Our Kind of Traitor by John le Carré and President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime by Lou Cannon. Obama signed the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 on January 2.
- December 23, 2011 - Obama arrived six days after his family and stayed until January 1, 2012. Reportedly, this year's vacation home is a few doors down from the home used in the previous years.
- December 21, 2012 - Obama arrived at the same house he stayed in 2011.
- "Obama craves familiarity on Hawaiian vacation - Yahoo! News". News.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- Lee, Carol E. (2008-12-20). "Obama Heads to Hawaii for the Holidays". NBC Bay Area. Retrieved December 25, 2010.
- "August 2008 Obama Hawaii Vacation". blog. ArmchairHawaii.com. Retrieved December 25, 2010.
- Tolin, Lisa (December 23, 2008). "Shirtless images of 'buff' Obama cause stir". Toronto: thestar.com. Retrieved December 25, 2010.
- Pallasch, Abdon M (January 2, 2009). "Obama returns to Chicago after two weeks in Hawaii". Chicago Sun Times.
- Zeleny, Jeff (January 4, 2010). "Obama Faces Full Plate Upon Return". New York Times.
- "December 2008 - Obama Christmas Vacation in Hawaii". ArmchairHawaii.com. Retrieved December 25, 2010.
- Hawaii House Rental: A Look Inside The 'Winter White House', Huffington Post, (December 24, 2009).
- "Obama's 'winter White House'". Front Row Washington. Reuters. December 23, 2009. Archived from the original on May 13, 2011.
- "December 2009 - Obama Christmas Vacation in Hawaii". blog. ArmchairHawaii.com. Retrieved December 25, 2010.
- "Mrs. Obama's Separate Hawaii Travel Likely Costs at Least $63,000 | The Blog on Obama". White House Dossier. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- "Obama Announces Six Recess Appointments". Huffingtonpost.com. December 29, 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- Jon Carroll (December 30, 2010). "Neil Abercrombie versus the birthers". Sfgate.com. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- Pace, Julie. "Obama hits town in Hawaii, extends vacation - Politics - White House - msnbc.com". MSNBC. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- Memoli, Michael A. (January 2, 2011). "Obama in Hawaii: Aides to Obama talk about crisis, calm in Hawaii". latimes.com. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- – Fri Dec 31, 5:33 pm ET. "Obama and family to spend quiet New Year's Eve - Yahoo! News". News.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- Obama Christmas in Hawaii 2010
- President Obama starts delayed Hawaii vacation | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader
- President Obama Hits Golf Links On Christmas Eve - Honolulu News Story - KITV Honolulu