Plantation High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Plantation High School|
|6901 NW 16th Street
Plantation, Florida 33313
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Blue
Plantation High School (commonly referred to as PHS) is a high school located in Plantation, Florida. The school serves 2,301 students in grades 9 through 12, and is a part of the Broward County Public Schools district. It was originally located on the Fort Lauderdale airport grounds Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale base, This was used as a temporary location until the new building was ready to open at its present location. Students at Plantation High are called "Colonels". The original school logo was a graphic of a traditional Southern colonel—the equivalent of Colonel Reb, mascot of the University of Mississippi. In the early 1990s, amidst concerns of racial insensitivity, the logo was changed to a large red letter "C," similar to the Chicago Bears logo.
Clubs and organizations
Alongside its varied curriculum, PHS also possesses a wide list of clubs and organizations that cater to the diverse interest of the student body. The following list provides the school's official clubs:
- AOF - Academy of Finance (part of DECA) teaches students the fundamentals needed in the business world. It is a three-year program that includes an internship and annual competitions. Students graduate with an additional diploma certifying the completion of the program.
- AOTT - Academy of Travel and Tourism (part of DECA) teaches students the fundamentals needed in the hospitality.
- Best Buddies - Focus is to enhance the lives of people with intellectual disabilities by developing friendships with members of the "Best Buddies" club.
- Bible Club - This is a club for those who read the bible; also associated with First Priority
- Cultural Society
- Crime Watch
- Drama Club - Members are able to participate in the PHS's theatrical productions. Members also have the opportunity to compete in various acting competitions; the Drama Club is also responsible for organizing the Senior Musical.
- French Club
- Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA)
- Health Occupations Students of America - Members of HOSA learn about careers in the growing health care system. Students learn hands-on skills and in their senior year go to clinics, the hospital, and work with patients and staff in real life situations.
- International Club plantationhigh.browardschools.com-open to students of all cultures. Promotes cultural harmony and friendship.
- Key Club - Sponsored by a local Kiwanis Club, the Key Club is a service organization that dedicates itself to providing programs, literature and opportunities for students to relate to other teenagers across the globe.
- Literary Magazine
- Mu Alpha Theta
- Model United Nations
- National Art Honor Society
- National Honor Society
- Newspaper Club - Students who are part of this club participate in creating the school's student-run newspaper, "The Colonel's Journal."
- Poetry Club
- Recycle Club
- Rocket Team (TARC/SLI)
- Save What's Left
- Step Team
- Student Government - SGA is a student-run organization that organizes inter-school related activities such as FunShop and Homecoming.
- SADD - Students Against Drunk Driving is a club dedicated to spreading awareness of the dangers of drunk driving to fellow students.
The school's athletic teams are known as the PHS Colonels:
- Cross Country
- Flag Football
- Swimming & Diving
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
In the 2006-2007 school year, Plantation High School was the only school in Broward County to go up a letter grade based on FCAT scores. This has marked a turning point for a new era at this school. Recently, the school has embarked on an ambitious quest to secure an International Baccalaureate program, with the class of 2012 as the first graduating class.
As of 2011, the total student enrollment was 2403. The ethnic makeup of the school was 28% White, 53% Black, 13% Hispanic, 3% Asian or Pacific Islander, 2% Multiracial, and 0% Native American or Native Alaskan.
- Ryan Shazier, NFL player
- H. B. Blades, NFL player
- Chris Britton, Former MLB player (Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees)
- Steve Curry, Former MLB player (Boston Red Sox)
- Jeff Spoeri, five-time Jeopardy! champion and 2007 Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions semifinalist, Class of 1983
- Jeff Owens, NFL player, Class of 2007
- Melanie Amaro, first season of The X Factor USA winner & singer, Class of 2010
- Bret Ernst, comedian
- Charles Partridge, NCAA Head football coach (Florida Atlantic University)
- Josh Robinson NFL player, Class of 2009 (Minnesota Vikings)
Christopher "Ryan" Franz, Studio Drummer, Class of 2006