Plantation High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Plantation High School|
6901 NW 16th Street
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Blue|
Plantation High School (commonly referred to as PHS) is a high school located in Plantation, Florida, part of the Broward County Public Schools district As of 2017, The school serves 2,348 students in grades 9 through 12. It was originally located on the Fort Lauderdale Airport grounds, specifically on the Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale base. This was used as a temporary location until the new building was ready to open at its present location. Students at Plantation High are called "Colonels". The original school logo was a graphic of a traditional Southern colonel—the equivalent of Colonel Reb, mascot of the University of Mississippi. In the early 1990s, amidst concerns of racial insensitivity, the logo was changed to a large red letter "C," similar to the Chicago Bears logo.
Clubs and organizations
Alongside its varied curriculum, PHS also possesses a wide list of clubs and organizations that cater to the diverse interests of the student body. The following list provides the school's official clubs:
- AOF - Academy of Finance (part of DECA) teaches students the fundamentals needed in the business world. It is a three-year program that includes an internship and annual competitions. Students graduate with an additional diploma certifying the completion of the program.
- AOTT - Academy of Travel and Tourism (part of DECA) teaches students the fundamentals needed in the hospitality.
- Best Buddies - Focus is to enhance the lives of people with intellectual disabilities by developing friendships with members of the "Best Buddies" club.
- Bible Club - This is a club for those who read the bible; also associated with First Priority
- Cultural Society
- Crime Watch
- Drama Club - Members are able to participate in the PHS's theatrical productions. Members also have the opportunity to compete in various acting competitions; the Drama Club is also responsible for organizing the Senior Musical.
- French Club
- Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA)
- Health Occupations Students of America - Members of HOSA learn about careers in the growing health care system. Students learn hands-on skills and in their senior year go to clinics, the hospital, and work with patients and staff in real life situations.
- International Club plantationhigh.browardschools.com-open to students of all cultures. Promotes cultural harmony and friendship.
- Key Club - Sponsored by a local Kiwanis Club, the Key Club is a service organization that dedicates itself to providing programs, literature and opportunities for students to relate to other teenagers across the globe.
- Literary Magazine
- Mu Alpha Theta
- National Art Honor Society
- National Honor Society
- Newspaper Club - Students who are part of this club participate in creating the school's student-run newspaper, "The Colonel's Journal."
- Poetry Club
- Recycle Club
- Rocket Team (TARC/SLI)
- Save What's Left
- Step Team
- Student Government - SGA is a student-run organization that organizes inter-school related activities such as FunShop and Homecoming.
- SADD - Students Against Drunk Driving is a club dedicated to spreading awareness of the dangers of drunk driving to fellow students.
The school's athletic teams are known as the PHS Colonels:
- Cross Country
- Flag Football
- Swimming & Diving
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
In the 2006-2007 school year, Plantation High School was the only school in Broward County to go up a letter grade based on FCAT scores. This has marked a turning point for a new era at this school. Plantation High School has participated in the International Baccalaureate program since April 2010.
As of 2017 there are 2,348 students. 65.4% of the student population at Plantation High School identifies as African-American, making up the largest segment of the student body. U.S. News marks the total minority enrollment to be 86% and 71% reporting to be economically disadvantaged.
- Melanie Amaro, singer, first season of The X Factor USA winner, Class of 2010
- H. B. Blades, NFL player (Washington Redskins)
- Chris Britton, former MLB player (Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees)
- Jeremy Cash, NFL player (Carolina Panthers), Class of 2010
- Steve Curry, former MLB player (Boston Red Sox)
- Bret Ernst, comedian
- Carl Hiaasen, novelist and columnist, Class of 1970
- Jeff Owens, NFL player, Class of 2007
- Charles Partridge, football head coach, Florida Atlantic University, 2014-16
- Josh Robinson, NFL player (Minnesota Vikings), Class of 2009
- Flip Schultz, comedian, Class of 1992
- Ryan Shazier, NFL player (Pittsburgh Steelers), Class of 2011
- Jeff Spoeri, 5-time Jeopardy! champion, Class of 1983
- Christopher "Ryan" Franz, studio drummer, Class of 2006
- Patrick Staropoli, NASCAR driver, Class of 2008
- Sojourn Shelton, NFL player (Cincinnati Bengals) Class of 2013
- "PLANTATION HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- U.S. News & World Report: Plantation High School
- FCAT School Grades - High Archived 2004-06-18 at the Wayback Machine
- "Plantation High School". International Baccalaureate®. Retrieved 2017-10-10.
- "Plantation High School Student Body". U.S. News. Archived from the original on 2014-09-03. Retrieved October 10, 2017.