Plants and Animals
Plants and Animals
Plants and Animals, July 2007
|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Members||Warren Spicer: guitar, vocals|
Matthew Woodley: drums, vocals
Nicolas Basque: guitar, bass, keyboards, vocals
Plants and Animals are a Canadian indie-rock band from Montreal (featuring two members originally from Halifax, Nova Scotia) which comprises guitarist-vocalists Warren Spicer and Nic Basque and drummer-vocalist Matthew Woody Woodley. The trio began playing together as kids and emerged on the international scene in 2008. They are signed to Secret City Records.
Their first full-length album, Parc Avenue, was shortlisted for the 2008 Polaris Music Prize and was nominated for a 2009 Juno Award for Alternative Album of the Year; the band were also nominated for New Group of the Year.
Plants and Animals' self-titled EP was released in 2003 via Ships at Night Records.
In the fall of 2007, Plants and Animals released the four-song with/avec EP
Their full-length debut Parc Avenue was released on February 26, 2008 in Canada and on March 25, 2008 in the United States. The album was recorded entirely on analogue tape and features string parts by Sarah Neufeld of Arcade Fire
The band released their second LP, titled La La Land, on April 20, 2010. The album was recorded in both The Treatment Room in the band's hometown of Montreal and La Frette Studios outside of Paris, France.
Waltzed in from the Rumbling, their fourth full-length, was released on April 29, 2016.
- Plants and Animals EP (2003)
- With/Avec EP (2007)
- Parc Avenue (2008)
- La La Land (2010)
- The End of That (2012)
- Waltzed in from the Rumbling (2016)
|2012||"Lightshow"||29||The End of That|
|"Why & Why"||36|
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
Appearances in the media
"Lightshow" was featured on the soundtrack for The Lifeguard.
- Schneider, Jason (September 2007). "Interview with Plants and Animals". Exclaim.ca. Archived from the original on April 14, 2008. Retrieved September 24, 2007.
- Craig, Lindsay (June 21, 2007). "Secret City Signs The Go! Team And Plants And Animals". Chart. Archived from the original on July 28, 2009. Retrieved March 14, 2009.
- "Plants and Animals announce new album Waltzed in from the Rumbling out April 29". secretcityrecords.com. February 5, 2016. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- Bottenberg, Rupert (January 29, 2004). "Flora and phonics: The strange nature of Plants and Animals". Montreal Mirror. Retrieved September 27, 2007.
- Barclay, Michael." Plants and Animals’ Parc Life", Exclaim!, March 2008.
- Hudson, Alex. "Plants and Animals Roll Out Canadian Tour". Exclaim!, December 6, 2011.
- Brown, Emma (February 27, 2012). "If Plants and Animals Were Plants and Animals..." interviewmagazine.com. Retrieved February 27, 2007.