Plants for a Future
Plants For A Future (PFAF) is an online not for profit resource for those interested in edible and useful plants of temperate regions. The project currently has a site in the South West of England where many of the plants are being grown on a trial basis, and maintains a small mail order catalogue. The organization's emphasis is on perennial plants.
The Charity’s objectives are to advance the education of the public by the promotion of all aspects of ecologically sustainable vegan-organic horticulture and agriculture with an emphasis on tree, shrub and other perennial species; and the undertaking of research into such horticulture and agriculture, and dissemination of the results of such research.
The website contains an online database of over 7000 plants that can be grown in the UK, the data is created/collated by Ken Fern, and can be either used online free of charge, or downloaded for a small sum.
- Fern, Ken. Plants for a Future: Edible and Useful Plants for a Healthier World. Hampshire: Permanent Publications, 1997. ISBN 1-85623-011-2.
- Edible Plants: An inspirational guide to choosing and growing unusual edible plants. 2012 ISBN 9781481170017
- Woodland Gardening: Designing a low-maintenance, sustainable edible woodland garden. 2013. ISBN 9781484069165
- Edible Trees: A practical and inspirational guide from Plants For A Future on how to grow and harvest trees with edible and other useful produce. 2013. ISBN 9781493736102
- Plantes Comestibles: Le guide pour vous inspirer à choisir et cultiver des plantes comestibles hors du commun. 2014. ISBN 9781495914690
- Edible Perennials: 50 Top perennial plants from Plants For A Future. 2015.
- Plants for a Future: Edible and Useful Plants for a Healthier World by Ken Fern, published by Permanent Publications ISBN 1-85623-011-2