Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville
|Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville|
|Series||Plants vs. Zombies|
|Release||October 18, 2019|
Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville is a third-person shooter developed by PopCap Games and published by Electronic Arts as a standalone game for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on October 18, 2019.
Similar to its predecessors, the game is a third-person shooter where players take control of the Plants or the Zombies in either a cooperative or competitive multiplayer environment. The game features 20 customizable gameplay classes, six of which are new to the franchise, and they are classified into three groups: attackers, defenders, or support. Each camp also has a new team play class that allows players of the same class to combine forms when they fight against enemies. Players can compete against each other in various competitive multiplayer modes, including the objective-based Turf War mode and the team deathmatch variant Team Vanquish. The game also features several player-versus-environment open zones which allowed players to explore, find collectibles, and complete quests. Split-screen local multiplayer is also available for all gameplay modes.
Publisher Electronic Arts confirmed the development of a new Plants vs. Zombies shooter in May 2019. An alpha testing for the game, which was codenamed "Picnic", was held in early August. The game was officially announced and released as an early access game on September 4, 2019. Players who purchased the Founder's Edition would receive regular content updates until the game's full launch on October 18, 2019 and exclusive cosmetic items upon the game's official release.
Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville was given positive reviews. Destructoid gave the game on PS4 a 7.5/10 said about the game as "Battle for Neighborville doesn't go out of its way to surpass expectations, but it's a silly, strange, joyful game – one I'm glad was greenlit." Game Revolution gave the PC version 3/5 stars and said "Unfortunately, aside from its more robust PvE offering and unique new characters, most of the other changes that have been made in Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville haven’t been for the better."
- Additional work by Motive Studios
- Devore, Jordan (September 11, 2019). "Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville is a ton of fun, even in early access". Destructoid. Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- Sheridan, Connor (September 5, 2019). "Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville is a Destiny-infused Garden Warfare followup that's playable now". GamesRadar. Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- Takahashi, Dean (September 4, 2019). "Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville hands-on — It's time for cute combat". VentureBeat. Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- Ramee, Jordan (May 7, 2019). "EA Reveals New Need For Speed And Plants Vs. Zombies Games Coming This Fall". GameSpot. Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- Phillips, Tom (July 22, 2019). "EA quietly begins what looks like a Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 3 alpha". Eurogamer. Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- Fahey, Mike (April 9, 2019). "New Plants Vs. Zombies Shooter Announced, Goes Live Today". Kotaku. Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- Nelson, Xavier (September 11, 2019). "How EA and Plants vs. Zombies are battling binge culture". Polygon. Retrieved September 15, 2019.