Plateau Department

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Plateau
Department
Map highlighting the Plateau Department
Map highlighting the Plateau Department
Coordinates: 6°58′N 2°41′E / 6.967°N 2.683°E / 6.967; 2.683Coordinates: 6°58′N 2°41′E / 6.967°N 2.683°E / 6.967; 2.683
Country  Benin
Capital Sakété
Area[1]
 • Total 3,264 km2 (1,260 sq mi)
Population (2013 census)
 • Total 624,146
 • Density 190/km2 (500/sq mi)
Time zone WAT (UTC+1)

Plateau is one of the twelve departments of Benin.

The population of the department according to the according to the National population census is predominantly Yoruba of the following subgroups: Nagot group at 45.7% and the Holli, otherwise known as the Ohori at 20.9% for a total of 66.6% to constitute the majority. The Yoruba group is followed by the Fon group of the following subgroups: Guns at 12.4% of the population, Fon at 8.2% of the population, and Torri 6.5%.[2]

The département of Plateau was created in 1999 when it was split off from Ouémé Department.

Administrative divisions[edit]

Plateau is subdivided into five communes, each centered at one of the principal towns:

Communes of Plateau

References[edit]