Plattekill (town), New York
|Plattekill (town), New York|
Location in Ulster County and the state of New York.
The Town of Plattekill is in the southeast part of the county. The town is immediately north of the Town of Newburgh.
The five official hamlets in the town include Ardonia, Clintondale, Modena, New Hurley, and Plattekill.
The town was settled early in the 18th century. The Town of Plattekill was established in 1800 from part of the Town of Marlborough.
The population of the town in 1900 was 1,866.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 35.7 square miles (92.5 km²), of which, 35.6 square miles (92.2 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (0.22%) is water.
The south town line is the border of Orange County, dividing Plattekill from Newburgh. To the west, Plattekill borders Shawangunk and Gardiner, while in the north the town is bordered by Lloyd. The eastern boundary of the town closely parallels the Marlboro Mountain ridge, dividing Plattekill from the town of Marlborough.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,892 people, 3,649 households, and 2,561 families residing in the town. The population density was 277.8 people per square mile (107.3/km²). There were 3,888 housing units at an average density of 109.2 per square mile (42.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 86.91% White, 4.62% Black or African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.63% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 5.06% from other races, and 2.44% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 16.00% of the population.
There were 3,649 households out of which 35.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.6% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.8% were non-families. 23.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.70 and the average family size was 3.19.
In the town, the population was spread out with 27.6% under the age of 18, 7.4% from 18 to 24, 30.8% from 25 to 44, 22.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 97.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $40,448, and the median income for a family was $47,684. Males had a median income of $36,675 versus $29,449 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,651. About 6.3% of families and 9.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.0% of those under age 18 and 7.3% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Plattekill
- Ardonia – A hamlet in the northern part of the town on Route 44.
- Camp Sunset – A location south of Ardonia.
- Clintondale – A hamlet in the northeast part of the town on Route 44.
- Flint – A hamlet east of New Hurley.
- Modena – A hamlet at the junction of Routes 44/55 and 32.
- Modena Gardens – A hamlet northeast of New Hurley.
- Plattekill – The hamlet of Plattekill is in the southeast part of the town, east of the Thruway on Route 32.
- Sylva – A hamlet west of Plattekill on Route 32.
- Tuckers Corners – A location near the east town line.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Plattekill, New York.|