Platteville Town Hall
|Motto: "Small Town Atmosphere, Big Town Vision"|
Location in Weld County and the state of Colorado
|Incorporated (town)||January 1, 1887|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Mayor||Bonnie Dunston|
|• Town Manager||Troy Renken|
|• Total||2.527 sq mi (6.545 km2)|
|• Land||2.527 sq mi (6.545 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||4,813 ft (1,467 m)|
|• Density||1,580/sq mi (623.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0180790|
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
From 1968 until 1984, Platteville was home to one of the earliest ionospheric heating facilities capable of radiating about 100 MW ERP. Early experiments included HF heater induced air-glow, heater-induced spread F, wide band heater-induced absorption, and heater-created field-aligned ionization, refer to HAARP.
Platteville has a public library, United States Post Office, four parks, five churches, an elementary school and a middle school. Platteville is also home to Fort Vasquez, an 1830s fur trading post, and the Pioneer Museum.
Platteville is located at (40.214468, -104.824070).
The Fort St. Vrain Generating Station, originally a nuclear power plant and now operating as a natural gas powered electricity generating facility operated by Xcel Energy, is approximately one-quarter-mile northwest of Platteville.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Platteville has a total area of 2.527 square miles (6.54 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,485 people, 951 households, and 935 families residing in Platteville. The population density was 1,606.5 people per square mile (618.3/km²). There were 819 housing units at an average density of 555.1 per square mile (213.7/km²). The racial makeup of Platteville was 73.84% White, 0.55% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.17% Pacific Islander, 22.24% from other races, and 2.91% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 35.19% of the population.
There were 786 households out of which 45.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.6% were married couples living together, 10.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.4% were non-families. 18.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.02 and the average family size was 3.50.
The Platteville population was spread out with 32.8% under the age of 18, 9.7% from 18 to 24, 32.3% from 25 to 44, 18.7% from 45 to 64, and 6.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 103.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.5 males.
The median income for a household in Platteville was $43,472, and the median income for a family was $47,574. Males had a median income of $34,048 versus $25,430 for females. The per capita income for Platteville was $15,802. About 6.9% of families and 8.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.6% of those under age 18 and 5.5% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and culture
Annual cultural events
Platteville celebrates the harvest season every August since 1910. The name of the harvest festival has changed many times over the years, and is currently called, simply, Harvest Daze.
- "Town of Platteville Colorado". Town f Platteville Colorado. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. December 1, 2004. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Platteville, Colorado". City-Data.com. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- "Profile for Platteville, Colorado, CO". ePodunk. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Platteville Website Portal style website, Government, Business, Library, Recreation and more
- City-Data.com Comprehensive Statistical Data and more about Tipton
- CDOT map of the Town of Platteville