|Plavka Coleridge (maiden name, Lonich)|
|Birth name||Plavka Lonich|
|Born||San Jose, California, United States|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, performer|
|Associated acts||Jam & Spoon, The Shamen, Rising High Collective|
Plavka Coleridge (née Lonich) is an American singer of Croatian and Peruvian origin who lives in Los Angeles. She is best known for being the singer of the German trance act Jam & Spoon, whose classically infused trance sound dominated the international charts in the mid 1990s, as well as for her previous stint with The Shamen.
The Californian-born Plavka is the daughter of a Peruvian mother and Croatian father. At age 21 she moved to London, where she was lead-singer for the seminal British acid-house band the Shamen. She sang on the group's first hit, "Hyperreal". They toured UK and Europe with their traveling show, "Synergy", and recorded a John Peel session in the UK. In 1991, the Shamen with Plavka were covered by UK's Face magazine to take rave to Russia, touring as far as Siberia.
Plavka was then poached by the management of Jam & Spoon to be their singer. Their first single, "Right in the Night", went Top 10 in the UK and they performed on the legendary UK show Top of the Pops. Plavka also sang on Jam & Spoon's hits "Find Me (Odyssey to Anyoona)" and "Angel" and on their album Kaleidoscope Skies. The single, "Kaleidoscope Skies", was the first single off the album and made the Top 20 in several European territories. She also performed Jam & Spoon's final single "Butterfly Sign" at the New Pop Festival in Germany.
Plavka's interest in jazz singing later led her to acquiring a jazz residency at Annabel's, the private London members club. Plavka was nominated for Best Dance Act with Jam & Spoon at the first ever MTV European Music Awards held in Berlin.
In the early to mid 1990s, Plavka worked with, and dated, Caspar Pound, producer, composer and owner of Rising High Records. They formed Rising High Collective with producer Peter Smith. They were known for some very well regarded trance, ambient and house tracks on the underground electronic music scene. Their first single, Fever Called Love, was a revolutionary track as it was the first techno dance production to have a vocal song. This underground hit garnered Rising High Collective live engagements across Europe and critical acclaim.
Plavka has been featured as guest vocalist with DJ Ils (Razorblade) and Nu Frequency (Love Sick), J. Nitti (Surrender). She also penned the song 'Never Ever', for the English band James Taylor Quartet (Acid Jazz records).
In May 2013, Jam & Spoon featuring Plavka re-released Right in the Night 2013 with a mix by David May and Amfree. Plavka shot the video in Salton Sea, California. The song was released by Sony Columbia. It reached No. 1 in the European Dance Charts.
October 2015 sees the release of 'The Solution'. This song is a collaboration between Plavka and Hamburg Dj/Producer, Remute.
Plavka has cuts on the upcoming Jam solo album that will be released in 2016. Currently, Plavka is promoting new songs that she has recorded with producers, Fagault & Marina. She is doing live appearances in support of the new material.
Plavka now lives in Los Angeles. She married Christopher Coleridge in 2006 and they have a daughter.
- En-Tact (1990)
- Tripomatic Fairytales 2001 (1993)
- Kaleidoscope (1997)
- Tripomatic Fairytales 3003 (2004)
- Remixes & Club Classics (2006)
- "Chance Me" Plavka, (1988) Mainline Records
- "Hyperreal" The Shamen feat. Plavka (1990) One Little Indian
- "Fever Called Love" Rising High Collective (1991) R&S Records
- "Reach" Rising High Collective (1992) Rising High Records
- "Maximum Motion" Plavka (1993) Ascension Records
- "Right In The Night (Fall in Love with Music)" Jam & Spoon feat. Plavka (1993) JAM! Sony Dance Pool
- "Find Me (Odyssey to Anyoona)" Jam & Spoon feat. Plavka (1994) JAM! Sony Dance Pool
- "Liquid Thoughts" (EP feat Tangled In My Thoughts) Rising High Collective (1994) Rising High Records
- "Feel the Fire" RHC feat. Plavka (1995) Ascension Records
- "Angel (Ladadi O-Heyo)" Jam & Spoon feat. Plavka (1995) JAM! Sony Dance Pool
- "Kaleidoscope Skies" Jam & Spoon feat. Plavka (1997) JAM! Sony Dance Pool
- "Don't Call It Love" Jam & Spoon feat. Plavka (1998) JAM! Sony Dance Pool
- "Your Everything" Mistral feat. Plavka (2002) Black Hole
- "Butterfly Sign" Jam & Spoon feat. Plavka (2004) Universal Music
- "Razorblade" Ils feat. Plavka (2007) Distinctive Records
- "Love Sick" NUfrequency feat. Plavka (2007) Rebirth
- "Love Story" Rudenko feat. Plavka (2009) Be Yourself Music
- "Surrender" J Nitti feat. Plavka (2010) Armada Records
- "Redlight Town" Swagger feat. Plavka (2012) Housepital Records
- "Right in the Night 2013" Jam & Spoon feat. Plavka Mixed by David May & Amfree (2013) Sony Columbia