|Developer(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Initial release||October 20, 2011 (Private Beta)
April 19, 2012 (Open Beta)
October 3, 2012 (Public Release)
November 20, 2012 (SDK Release)
|Stable release||2.01 / 2015|
|Operating system||Android (version 1.xx only), PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV|
PlayStation Mobile (formerly PlayStation Suite) is a software framework used to provide downloadable PlayStation content for devices that meet PlayStation Certified requirements. This includes devices that both run Android 2.3 and meet specific unannounced hardware requirements, PlayStation Vita, and PlayStation TV. PlayStation Mobile is based on the Mono platform.
The Open Beta was released on April 19, 2012. PlayStation Mobile opened in the United States, Japan, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Australia on October 3, 2012. Sony states that PlayStation Mobile support will continue to be rolled out to more countries over time. It has also been stated that PlayStation Network Trophy integration is being worked on.
On 8 May 2013, Sony announced that the publisher license fee of €80/£65/$99 would be waived in an attempt to entice more developers to create games for the service. PlayStation Mobile 2.00 released in 2014 would only target PlayStation Vita and (optionally) PlayStation TV.
It was announced in 2015 that PlayStation Mobile will be shutting down. The service never really took off despite availability on a range of handsets by many manufacturers. The storefront was planned to be closed on July 15, 2015 but was live until end of July 16th. The service will shut down September 10, 2015, after which point it will not be possible to activate devices for PlayStation Mobile or download existing purchases.
The games released under PlayStation Mobile are available to devices via the PlayStation Store, allowing players to download the titles to their devices. Games released under the program may have the Dualshock controls overlaid on top of the touchscreen, however for devices which have analog buttons such as the PlayStation Vita and Xperia Play, the controls are mapped directly to them. Developers can also make purely touch screen games, if they so choose.
Currently, there are more than 100 games available on the service.
To ensure that Android devices run PlayStation Mobile content correctly, Sony has created a set of guidelines and requirements for hardware known as PlayStation Certified. The first certified device was Xperia Play. The PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV also have access to PlayStation Mobile. In a November 2011 update, the previously released Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, and Sony Ericsson Xperia acro became PlayStation Certified. The Sony Xperia S, Sony Xperia ion and Sony Tablets are also PlayStation Certified.
HTC was the first non-Sony manufacturing company revealed to offer PlayStation Certified devices. The HTC One series handsets will be supported, noted models include HTC One X, HTC One S, HTC One V, HTC One XL, HTC One X+ and the HTC Evo 4G LTE . At Sony's 2012 Gamescom press conference, it was revealed that the WikiPad gaming tablet would also be PlayStation Certified and that ASUS will also create certified hardware. At Sony's Tokyo Game Show 2012 press conference, Fujitsu and Sharp were announced as two more partners.
A full list of PlayStation Certified devices can be found on the Playstation Mobile download page
Runtime Package releases
Release date (UTC)
(PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV only)
August 20, 2013
April 22, 2013
December 19, 2012
October 3, 2012
- Hinkle, David. (2012-06-04) HTC is first partner for 'PlayStation Mobile,' the new name for PlayStation Suite [Update: Press release added. Joystiq. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- "PlayStation SUITE GDC Online 2011 - Part 3". Retrieved November 10, 2011.[dead link]
- Mallory, Jordan. (2012-04-19) PlayStation Suite enters open beta, some details emerge. Joystiq. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- PlayStation Mobile goes live today with Super Crate Box, Wipe! and Samurai Beatdown | Polygon. Theverge.com (2012-10-02). Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- Six weeks of free PlayStation Mobile gaming (update) – PlayStation.Blog.Europe. Blog.eu.playstation.com (2013-01-23). Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- Six weeks of free PlayStation Mobile gaming – update 4 – PlayStation.Blog.Europe. Blog.eu.playstation.com (2013-02-06). Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- Become a PlayStation Mobile publisher for free – PlayStation.Blog.Europe. Blog.eu.playstation.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- PlayStation Mobile Will Power Down on July 15th
- "List of Third Party Game Developers and Publishers" (PDF). Sony. Sony Corp. June 5, 2012. Retrieved June 8, 2012.
- "Sony Announces Optimally Designed 'Sony Tablet' with Android 3.0 that Complements Network Services for an immersive Entertainment Experience also Strengthening VAIO in Expanding PC Markets". Sony Electronics. Sony Corp. April 26, 2011. Retrieved May 14, 2011.
- "NTTドコモより発売中のXperiaシリーズ4機種機能バージョンアップのお知らせ―11月7日より順次開始 エリアメールやテザリング、PlayStationCertified対応など―". Sony Ericsson (in Japanese). Sony Corp. November 4, 2011. Retrieved November 10, 2011.
- "SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES HTC AS PART OF THE PLAYSTATION™CERTIFIED LICENSE PROGRAM PLAYSTATION®SUITE RENAMED "PLAYSTATION®MOBILE"". Sony. Sony Corp. June 5, 2012. Retrieved June 8, 2012.
- "GSMArena.com News". December 12, 2012.
- Smith, Mat. (2012-08-14) PlayStation Mobile detailed: different screens, same games. Engadget.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- Gilbert, Ben. (2012-09-19) Sharp and Fujitsu join PlayStation Certified program, PS Mobile SDK available this November. Engadget.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- Unity for PSM and PSM SDK 2.0 are now ready for submission!. PSM DevPortal. Retrieved on 2014-07-15.
- PLAYSTATION MOBILE SDK 1.20 OUT NOW; ADDS PSN LEADERBOARDS. PSNStores.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-10.
- PlayStation®Mobile SDK 1.11.00 is now available! - PlayStation Forum. Community.eu.playstation.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- PlayStation Mobile Launches Today With Super Crate Box, Loot the Land and More – PlayStation.Blog. Blog.us.playstation.com (2012-10-03). Retrieved on 2013-08-23.