Nuevitas municipality (red) within
Camagüey Province (yellow) and Cuba
|• Total||415 km2 (160 sq mi)|
|Elevation||20 m (70 ft)|
|• Density||108.1/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
Founded in 1775, the city was moved to its present site in 1828. Before the 1977 national municipal reform, Nuevitas was divided into the barrios of Primero, Segundo, Tercero, Alvaro Reinoso, Lugareño, Redención, San Miguel and Senado.
Nuevitas is located on the Guincho peninsula on the north coast, and borders with the municipalities of Guáimaro, Minas, Manatí (in Las Tunas Province) and Morón (in Ciego de Ávila Province). The municipality includes the villages of Camalote, Pastelillo, Playa Santa Lucía, San Agustín, San Miguel de Bagá and Santa Rita.
Nuevitas is not a very large city but it is one of Cuba's most important towns because of its commercial and industrial activities. Nuevitas is located not very far southwest of Playa Santa Lucía which is a very famous place for tourists in Cuba. Cayo Sabinal is located immediately north, other cays are Cayo Guajaba and Cayo Romano. The only waterway that separates Santa Lucia from Ensenada Playa Bonita is the canal of Nuevitas which connects the Bahia de Nuevitas to the Atlantic Ocean.
Nuevitas is sheltered by a huge harbor, has two auxiliary ports, and is a major shipping point for Cuban sugar as well as other products from the surrounding agricultural region. It also possesses diversified light industry and serves as a road and rail terminus. The principal road crossing the municipality is the state highway "Circuito Norte" (CN).
- Emilia Bernal (1882–1964), poet
- Enrique Cirules (1938–2016), writer
- Armando Coroneaux (b. 1985), footballer
- Benalmádena (Andalusia, Spain)
- Milwaukee (Wisconsin, USA). This twinnage makes Nuevitas the first sister city in Cuba to be linked with a city in the United States.
- Guije.com. "Nuevitas" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Statoids. "Municipios of Cuba". Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- Atenas.cu (2004). "2004 Population trends, by Province and Municipality" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-10-05.
- 5892228 Nuevitas on OpenStreetMap
- Map of Camagüey Province showing municipal territories (05 is Nuevitas)
Media related to Nuevitas at Wikimedia Commons