|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Playaround was formed from the ashes of Mystique, the first Atari 2600 adult video game company. Playaround purchased the rights to Mystique's titles and released them as "double-enders" - extra-long cartridges that had a different game on each end. Playaround released additional titles unique from those picked up from Mystique, and made female versions of several of their games to try to tap into another market, which didn't work very well. While the games' themes may be considered adult, the graphics are quite blocky and generally poor enough that it takes quite an imagination to see them as anything more than a novelty.
List of Playaround games
Beat'em and Eat'em/Philly Flasher
- For more, see Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em
Burning Desire/Jungle Fever
- In Burning Desire, you play a nude man hovering over on a helicopter trying to save a woman from getting consumed by flames while you dodge stones being thrown at you by cannibals. You ejaculate to put out the fire and then have the woman latch onto your penis and air her to safety. In Jungle Fever, the roles are reversed and you play a woman who lactates the fire out.
Knight on the Town/Lady in Wading
- In Knight on the Town, you play a knight who needs to get across the moat to save a buxom princess, but the only way across is for the knight to build a drawbridge, piece by piece. While building the bridge, the knight must dodge a dragon's fire, an alligator swimming in the moat and a little gremlin with a big mouth to bite the knight's penis off. To make matters worse, the gremlin moves faster for every piece of bridge placed. The goal of this game is to get across a completed drawbridge and climb to the top of the tower to get the princess in the least amount of time. For Lady in Wading, a studly prince is abducted and an Amazon takes the knight's place.
- Both games are Memory-style games to test your memory. In Cathouse Blues, you play a man on a mission to find and score with 7 different women in a large neighborhood and you get paid after you find the right house. However, there are empty houses with alarms that can stun him temporarily. Also wandering the streets are police officers ready to capture you. Also on hand is a mugger who steals all your money if you run into him. You run out of lives and the game is over. In Gigolo, it's a woman who looks for 7 different men.
- This game is similar to Breakout! and Arkanoid in gameplay, but instead of bricks and Pong balls, you get walls of girls and a guy to bounce around with a paddle. The roles are reversed in Bachelorette Party.
General Retreat/Westward Ho!
Another double-ended game was released in Europe called General Retreat/Westward Ho!, but due to the multiple complaints, negative impact and protests that Custer's Revenge got, it was never released in the U.S. and stayed on European markets.