Players Championship Finals
|Players Championship Finals|
|Michael van Gerwen|
The Players Championship Finals (also known as The Mr Green Sport Players Championship for sponsorship purposes) is a darts tournament organised by the Professional Darts Corporation. The tournament originally featured the top 32 players from the Players Championship Order of Merit, a separate ranking system that only takes into account the non-televised Players Championship events on the PDC Pro Tour. In 2016, the field increased to 64 players.
The tournament was first announced at the PDC Awards Dinner in January 2008 by PDC chairman Barry Hearn. It was initially held from late January to February, and originally took place at the Circus Tavern in Purfleet, the venue for the first 14 PDC World Championships. For the third edition, the event moved to the Doncaster Dome. The 2012 Edition took place in December at Butlins in Minehead.
|Year||Champion (average in final)||Score||Runner-up (average in final)||Prize money||Sponsor||Venue|
|2009||Phil Taylor (98.04)||16–9||Robert Thornton (88.52)||£200,000||£50,000||£25,000||coral.co.uk||Circus Tavern, Purfleet|
|2010||Paul Nicholson (92.75)||13–11||Mervyn King (89.74)||£250,000||£60,000||£24,000||totesport.com|
|2011/Feb||Phil Taylor (97.01)||13–12||Gary Anderson (96.31)||Perform||Doncaster Dome, Doncaster|
|2011/Dec||Kevin Painter (96.28)||13–9||Mark Webster (93.31)||Cash Converters|
|2012||Phil Taylor (103.57)||13–6||Kim Huybrechts (91.70)||Butlin's Resort, Minehead|
|2013||Michael van Gerwen (102.45)||11–7||Phil Taylor (102.64)|
|2014||Gary Anderson (101.01)||11–6||Adrian Lewis (95.37)||£300,000||£65,000||£35,000|
|2015||Michael van Gerwen (100.32)||11–6||Adrian Lewis (89.17)|
|2016||Michael van Gerwen (108.34)||11–3||Dave Chisnall (99.24)||£400,000||£75,000|
|2017||Michael van Gerwen (105.50)||11–2||Jonny Clayton (94.64)||£460,000||£100,000||£40,000||Mr Green Sport|
Total finalist appearances
- As of 26 November 2017.
|Michael van Gerwen||4||0||4||9|
In the UK and Ireland, the first two tournaments were broadcast on ITV4 with the third edition being screened by PDC TV. The fourth edition returned to ITV4 where it has stayed ever since and ITV4 signed a long-term deal to cover the European Championships, Players Championships, UK Open and new tournament the Masters from 2014 to 2016.
- 2009–2010: ITV4
- February 2011: PDC TV
- December 2011–present: ITV4
- "Mr Green Signs Sponsorship Deal With The Professional Darts Corporation". November 7, 2017.
- 2008 Order of Merit explanation from the Professional Darts Corporation, retrieved 19-11-2008
- PDC website report - PDC To Introduce New Events from the Professional Darts Corporation, retrieved 19-11-2008
- PDC website report - 2009 PDC Calendar from the Professional Darts Corporation, retrieved 19-11-2008
- PDC website report - PDC Return To Circus Tavern Archived 2008-11-04 at the Wayback Machine. from the Professional Darts Corporation, retrieved 19-11-2008
- "2011 Players Championship Finals Tickets". Professional Darts Corporation. PDC & Perform Ltd. 2 December 2010. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "Butlins Minehead To Host Cash Converters Players Championship". Planet Darts. 30 March 2012.
- pdc.tv Archived September 24, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
|This article related to darts competitions or tournaments is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|