Type of site
|Social network service|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Founder(s)||Kieran O'Neill, Seb Hayes, Ben Phillips|
|Key people||Paul Sulyok (Co-Founder & CEO Green Man Gaming & Playfire)|
|Industry||Social networking service, video games|
Playfire is a social gaming networking website targeted towards core video game players. Playfire users can automatically track their in-game achievements, trophies, and gameplay, as well as earn rewards for playing their games.
The company was founded in December 2007 by Kieran O'Neill, Seb Hayes & Ben Phillips and Playfire was first launched into private BETA in March 2008. A public BETA followed in June 2008. Playfire secured £1.3m Funding in November 2009, and went on to be acquired by Green Man Gaming in 2012. At the time of acquisition, Playfire had more than 1.2 million users tracking over 50,000 video games on the website.
Before creating Playfire, two of the Playfire founders had started and ran a PlayStation 3 focused news and forums website called PlayStation Universe. The idea for Playfire came from observing how gamers included information about themselves such as their PSN ID, recently played games and other things in their signatures below each forum post.
Playfire was the first website to release a PlayStation gamercard which attracted a large number of gamers to the service. The site iterated through a number of features, and introduced automatic tracking of Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC gameplay in March 2011.
In September 2011 Playfire partnered with GameSpot to bring Playfire users profile to GameSpot through an API partnership.
In January 2014, Playfire launched its Rewards BETA. the Rewards BETA encourages users to link their Steam (software) account to their Playfire account in order to earn Green Man Gaming store Credit. Available Rewards are listed daily on the Playfire Rewards. Page and by May 2014, over one million Rewards had been given out to BETA participants
Playfire initially raised £1.3m in funding from investors including Niklas Zennström (the founder of Skype), Michael Birch (the founder of Bebo), Chris Deering (the former Chairman of SCE), William Reeve (the founder of LOVEFiLM) and others.
- "Kieran O'Neill receives £1.3m backing for Playfire". Startups.co.uk. November 25, 2013.
- Butcher, Mike (February 24, 2012). "Playfire Hits A Million Users Of Its Analytics For Gamers".
- Alexander, Leigh (July 8, 2008). "Playfire Launches PS3 Trophies Gamercard Service". Kotaku.com.
- Tom Cheshire (August 17, 2011). "Playfire: The social network dedicated to gamers". Wired. Archived from the original on December 1, 2011.
- OMRI PETITTE (July 9, 2012). "Green Man Gaming merges with gaming social network Playfire". VentureBeat.
- "Playfire now tracking Xbox One - This Is Xbox". 10 December 2013.
- "Gamasutra - The Art & Business of Making Games". Gamasutra. 2013-12-23.
- Matthew Jarvis (January 30, 2014). "Green Man Gaming launches Playfire Rewards beta". PC Retail.
- "Get paid to play Steam games with Playfire". September 10, 2014. Archived from the original on September 11, 2014.
- "Rewards BETA - Playfire".
- "Playfire blazes through the ONE MILLION rewards mark!". MCV UK. May 7, 2014.
- "Playfire announces Most Played Golden Joystick". PC Gamer. October 21, 2014.
- "Games Media Awards: Gamers' Choice vote is open now". MCV UK. September 30, 2014.
- O'Hear, Steve (November 10, 2009). "Confirmed: Gamer social network Playfire secures $2.1m Series A". Techcrunch.