Disney Junior (UK and Ireland)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
28 September 1999 (Block)
29 September 2000 (Channel)
7 May 2011
|Owned by||Disney–ABC Television Group|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)
0.14% (+) (September 2015 , BARB)
|Formerly called||Playhouse Disney
(29 September 2000 – 7 May 2011)
|Replaced||Playhouse Disney + / Disney Junior +
Disney Junior HD
Disney Cinemagic HD
|Sister channel(s)||Disney Channel
Sky Movies Disney
|Timeshift service||Disney Junior +|
|Sky||Channel 611 (SD/HD)
Channel 612 (+)
Channel 628 (SD)
|Virgin Media Ireland||Channel 616|
|TalkTalk Plus TV||Channel 481|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (United Kingdom)|
|Sky Go||Watch live
(UK and Ireland only)
|Horizon GO||Watch live (Ireland)|
Disney Junior is a British television channel owned by Disney–ABC Television Group.
The channel launched on 29 September 2000 as Playhouse Disney, on the same day as the now defunct sister channel, Toon Disney.
Presenters were added to the channel in September 2009; they appear on air between 6pm and 8pm.
The Playhouse Disney brand, which existed as 22 channels or blocks in 156 countries and territories, rebranded as Disney Junior in 2011. In the United Kingdom and Ireland, Disney Junior began on 7 May 2011, with its first show as Handy Manny. At the same time the channel started broadcasting in 16:9 widescreen.
A high-definition simulcast of Disney Junior was made available to Sky+ HD subscribers on 9 April 2013.
When Playhouse Disney was launched, it had the same logo style as Disney Channel, with 2D idents featuring lines and circles. The idents were also carried on Disney Channel.
In September 2007, the channel logo in the external promotionals (programme press releases, promos for terrestrial television) were changed to include the inscription "Channel" as in all Playhouse Disney Europe channels, but on the channel itself the logo was not changed. This move probably is to differentiate the channel from the "Playhouse Disney" block, shown all mornings on the American Disney Channel.
Disney Junior +
A one-hour timeshift service of the channel, Disney Junior +, launched on 30 October 2007 as Playhouse Disney +, replacing the now defunct channel ABC1. It launched on the same day that the Disney Channels were reshuffled on Sky, involving Disney Cinemagic and Disney Cinemagic +1 moving down the EPG, to enable Playhouse Disney to move up the EPG to allow Playhouse Disney + to launch next to it on Sky 611 and 612 respectively. Playhouse Disney + was initially a 25-minute timeshift service until 11 April 2011 when it became a 1-hour timeshift service.
Playhouse Disney Live Tour
A live tour took place in 2008. It was shown in several cities, across the United States and Europe. In the United Kingdom, the tour included Bristol, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Brighton.
- Art Attack (6 June 2011–present)
- Henry Hugglemonster (8 February 2013–present)
- Jungle Junction (7 May 2011–present)
Acquired from Disney Junior (US)
- Doc McStuffins (23 October 2012–present)
- Goldie & Bear (4 January 2016–present)
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates (7 May 2011-present)
- The Lion Guard (Spring 2016–present)
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (7 May 2011–present)
- Miles from Tomorrowland (11 May 2015–present)
- PJ Masks (Spring 2016–present)
- Sheriff Callie's Wild West (24 February 2014–present)
- Sofia the First (8 March 2013–present)
- The Doc Files
- Jake's Buccaneer Blast
- Minnie's Bow-Toons
- Tales of Friendship with Winnie the Pooh
- Whisker Haven Tales with the Palace Pets
- Nina Needs to Go!
Other acquired series
- Calimero (2013–present)
- Curious George (7 May 2011–present)
- The Hive (7 May 2011–present)
- Mouk (19 September 2011–present)
- Wildlife Jack
- Zou (May 2012–present)
- Hi Five
- "Disney Junior to replace SoapNet, Playhouse". C21Media. 2010-05-26.
- "Disney to launch new Disney Junior brand". Digital Spy. 28 January 2011.
- "Disney, Sky bow co-branded movie net". C21Media. 21 February 2013.
- Waller, Ed (5 May 2011). "Disney takes Art Attack global". C21 Media. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Zahed, Ramin (24 January 2013). "Henry Hugglemonster' Arrives on Disney Jr. in Feb.". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Rushton, Katherine (14 December 2009). "Jungle Junction to air in 70 countries". Broadcast. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Wolfe, Jennifer (3 January 2013). "'Doc Mcstuffins' Reaps High UK Ratings". Animation World Magazine. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Disney Junior sets U.K. launch". Variety. London. 27 January 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Cath, Nicky (23 April 2015). "Disney May Highlights". Baby World. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Disney Junior TV Listings". TV Guide UK. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Methven, Nicola (1 March 2013). "Fairy good for mouth of Minnie Mouse: Legendary Disney actress Russi Taylor to voice fairy godmother for Sofia the First". Mirror. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Callan, Patrick (23 September 2015). "The Hive returns for second season". Kidscreen. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Milligan, Mercedes (8 January 2015). "Millimages' 'Mouk' Gets New Euro Licensees". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- White, Peter (1 July 2014). "Disney hunts out Wildlife Jack". Broadcast. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Zahed, Ramin (25 July 2013). "Sprout Adopts Cyber Group's 'Zou'". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 18 October 2015.