Playing It Cool
|Playing It Cool|
|Directed by||Justin Reardon|
|Music by||Jake Monaco|
|Edited by||Catherine Haight|
|Distributed by||Vertical Entertainment|
|Box office||$1.3 million|
Playing It Cool is a 2014 American romantic comedy film directed by Justin Reardon and written by Chris Shafer and Paul Vicknair. The film stars Chris Evans, Michelle Monaghan, Anthony Mackie, Aubrey Plaza, Patrick Warburton, Ioan Gruffudd, and Topher Grace. The film was released on video on demand on March 31, 2015 before a limited release on May 8, 2015 by Vertical Entertainment. It received generally negative reviews from critics.
Me (Evans) is a screenwriter who wants to write action flicks, but his agent, Bryan (Mackie), needs him to write a romcom first. However, due to abandonment issues stemming from his childhood, he doesn't believe in love and finds writing about romance difficult.
Then he meets Her (Monaghan) and falls in love with her, only to discover that she is already engaged to Stuffy (Gruffudd).
Both leads struggle with their feelings, but ultimately they open up, and his writer's block melts away.
- Chris Evans as Me
- Michelle Monaghan as Her
- Aubrey Plaza as Mallory
- Ioan Gruffudd as Stuffy
- Anthony Mackie as Bryan
- Topher Grace as Scott
- Patrick Warburton as Dick
- Martin Starr as Lyle
- Luke Wilson as Samson
- Philip Baker Hall as Granddad
- Ashley Tisdale as Herself
- Matthew Morrison as Himself
- Scott Evans as Blissful Boy
- Sarah Dumont as Cute Girl
- Jaeden Martell as 6 Year Old Me
- Carmina Garay as 6 Year Old Her
- Tony Cavalero as Charity Waiter
- Kyle Mooney as Other Dude
- Beverly D'Angelo as Lyle's Girlfriend
- Mikaela Hoover as Lacey
- Abby Ryder Fortson as Little girl
The film was released in Estonia on September 26, 2014, Latvia on October 17, 2014, South Korea on October 23, 2014 and Romania on December 26, 2014. The film was released in Sweden on February 26, 2015 on DVD and Blu-Ray. The film was also released in Bulgaria on March 6, 2015 and in Singapore on May 7, 2015. The film was scheduled to be released in Chile on May 28, 2015 and Brazil on June 11, 2015. on November 5, 2014 it was announced Vertical Entertainment had acquired US distribution rights for the film with a planned 2015 release. in February 2015, the film was released exclusively on DirecTV Cinema. The film was released on video on demand on March 31, 2015 before a limited release on May 8, 2015. The film premiered at the Dallas International Film Festival on April 11, 2015. The film was released in a limited release and on video on demand in Canada on February 27, 2015.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 14% based on 28 reviews, with an average rating of 4.1/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Playing It Cool pits Chris Evans and Michelle Monaghan's easy chemistry against a screenplay that tries too hard to be quirky and clever, and the results are disappointingly lukewarm." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 30 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
The international trailer was released on September 17, 2014.
The film was released in Sweden on February 26, 2015 on DVD and Blu-Ray, and was scheduled to be released in the United States on June 16, 2015 on DVD. The film was released on DVD in Canada on May 5, 2015.
- Ryan Gajewski (13 September 2014). "Chris Evans Has Complicated Feelings for Michelle Monaghan in 'Playing It Cool' Trailer". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- H. Shaw-Williams (September 2014). "'Playing it Cool' Trailer: Chris Evans & Anthony Mackie Reunite". Screen Rant. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- Kevin Jagernauth (12 September 2014). "First Trailer For Rom-Com 'Playing It Cool' With Chris Evans, Michelle Monaghan, Aubrey Plaza & More". Indie Wire. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-05-28. Retrieved 2015-05-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Playing It Cool (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- "Playing It Cool Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 28, 2018.