Playing for Keeps (album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Playing for Keeps|
|Studio album by Eddie Money|
|Genre||Rock, pop rock|
|Eddie Money chronology|
Playing for Keeps is Eddie Money's third album, released in 1980. It continues the expansion to include pop oriented tracks that began with the previous album. Jimmy Lyon's guitar work is a key to standouts "Trinidad" and "Million Dollar Girl" the first and last tracks.
The inclusion of the reggae-influenced "Running Back" as well as the syrupy duet "Let's Be Lovers Again" with Valerie Carter are indicative of the attempt to maintain rocker status and successfully migrate into the pop charts at the same time. The album was panned by critics who wanted it one way or the other although in fact, it contains some of Money's strongest early recordings.
Several of the tracks were written in conjunction with band member Randy Nichols who toured and recorded with Money at the time.
"Get A Move On"- also featured on the soundtrack from Americathon- received AOR airplay as did "Trinidad", but the singles chosen for release didn't stir much excitement with reviewers or radio.
The album was briefly released on the CD format, but quickly withdrawn. It had not been reissued on CD until 2012 when the four first albums were remastered and re-released by a European label named Rock Candy.
Following the end of the tour supporting this album, Money experienced a collapse and subsequent hospitalization. A notable break allowing for recuperation followed.
- "Trinidad" (Lonnie Turner; Greg Douglass; Eddie Money) - 5:08
- "Running Back" (Radcliffe "Dougie" Bryan) - 4:01
- "The Wish" (Money; James Lyon) - 3:58
- "Get a Move On" (Money; Paul Collins; Lloyd Chiate) - 3:47
- "When You Took My Heart" (Randy Nichols; Darrell Verdusco; Jerry Marcellino; David Sieff) - 3:36
- "Satin Angel" (David Lewark; Money) - 4:04
- "Let's Be Lovers Again" (Money; Lyon) - 5:54
- "Nobody Knows" (Nichols; Money) - 3:54
- "Million Dollar Girl" (Money) - 4:30
- Get a Move On (1979) #46 US
- Let's Be Lovers Again (1980) #65 US
- Running Back (1980) #78 US
- Eddie Money – vocals
- John Nelson – lead guitar
- Jimmy Lyon – guitars, solos (tracks 1, 3, 5, 8)
- David Lewark – guitars, solos (tracks 6, 9)
- John Nelson – slide guitar (track 4)
- Greg Douglass – guitars (track 1)
- Bob Glaub – bass guitar (tracks 2, 5, 7-9)
- Kenny Lewis – bass guitar (tracks 3, 4, 6)
- Lonnie Turner – bass guitar (track 1)
- Randy Nichols – keyboards
- Gary Mallaber – drums and percussion (tracks 1, 2, 5-9)
- Carmine Appice – drums (tracks 3, 4)
- Emilio Castillo – horns (track 9)
- Steve Kupka – horns (track 9)
- Valerie Carter – vocal duet on "Let's Be Lovers Again"
|This 1980s pop rock album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|