Playing in the Band, Seattle, Washington, 5/21/74
|Playing in the Band, Seattle, Washington, 5/21/74|
|Live album by|
|Released||November 23, 2018|
|Recorded||May 21, 1974|
|Venue||Hec Edmundson Pavilion|
|Grateful Dead chronology|
Playing in the Band, Seattle, Washington, 5/21/74 is a live album by the rock band the Grateful Dead. It was recorded on May 21, 1974 at Hec Edmundson Pavilion in Seattle. It was released as a vinyl LP in a limited edition of 7,400 copies on November 23, 2018, as part of Record Store Day Black Friday.
The album contains only one song, "Playing in the Band". At 46 minutes in length, it is the longest continuous Grateful Dead song ever recorded. This recording was previously released earlier in 2018 as part of the albums Pacific Northwest '73–'74: The Complete Recordings and Pacific Northwest '73–'74: Believe It If You Need It.
Playing in the Band is the second Grateful Dead LP that contains only one song and that was produced for Record Store Day. The first was Dark Star, which was recorded in 1972 and released in 2012.
- "Playing in the Band", continued (Weir, Hart, Hunter) – 24:44
- Jerry Garcia – guitar, vocals
- Donna Jean Godchaux – vocals
- Keith Godchaux – keyboards
- Bill Kreutzmann – drums
- Phil Lesh – bass, vocals
- Bob Weir – guitar, vocals
- Produced by Grateful Dead
- Produced for release by David Lemieux
- Mastering: Jeffrey Norman
- Recording: Kidd Candelario
- Tape restoration: Jamie Howarth, John Chester
- Lacquers: Chris Bellman
- Art direction, design: Lisa Glines
- Willman, Chris (November 22, 2018). "Record Store Day, Black Friday: From Weezer's Africa Picture Disc to the Dead's One-Song LP". Variety. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- Schafer, Debra Kate (November 14, 2018). "Black Friday's Record Store Day – 15 Must-Haves". The Aquarian. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- Fairman, Randy (October 11, 2018). "Faster than the Speeding Light: Rhino's Black Friday RSD Slate Features Madonna, The Doors, Grateful Dead, Todd Rundgren and More". The Second Disc. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- "Playing In The Band, Seattle, Washington 5/21/74". Grateful Dead Family Discography. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- "The Grateful Dead – Playing In The Band – Seattle, Washington 5/21/74". Discogs. Retrieved March 10, 2019.