|Voices of||Marc Cieslak|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Executive producer(s)||Richard Wilcox|
|Running time||24 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Playr Ltd.|
|Original network||Bravo (2008-2009)
Film 24 (2009-2010)
Showcase TV (2011-2013)
|Original release||3 May 2008– January 2013|
Playr was a TV show about video gaming that aired weekly in a number of locations around the world, including the UK, Canada, South America, Spain, South Africa and across Asia. The show mixed in-depth previews, news, reviews and features on video games and is notable for its entertaining approach to the subject. Playr was executive produced by Richard Wilcox, whose credits include GamesMaster, When Games Attack and Gamer.tv.
From 3 May 2008 until April 2009, Playr aired Saturday and Sunday mornings on Bravo. Repeats of the show were shown on Bravo 2. Until January 2009, the series had two sister programmes on Bravo: Playr Guide and Playr 2. The show is voiced by Marc Cieslak, previous narrators include comedian Rufus Hound and Tim Beckmann. On 25 April 2009, Playr ceased airing on Bravo.
The series returned to UK screens on 5 September 2009 on Film 24. After the 22 May 2010 episode, the show was forced off the air after Film 24 refused to pay any outstanding fees and later entered liquidation.
Playr returned once again to UK screens on 5 June 2011 for an initial 6-month run on the Information TV group of channels. New episodes premiered on Tuesdays at 6:00 pm on Showcase TV, followed by Playr Guide, with repeats aired throughout the week. In January 2013, the last episode of Playr aired mentioning that the programme would be gone for some time but on 19 March 2013 a post on the Playr website confirmed that the show was not in production and that it had probably finished. As of April 2013[update], reruns are still aired across the Information TV group of channels.
- "Playr". Syfy Universal. Archived from the original on 8 August 2010. Retrieved 31 August 2010.
- "About". The official blog of Playr. Retrieved 31 August 2010.
- "New games TV series coming to Bravo". Market for Home Computing and Video Games. 9 May 2008.
- "Playr, Episode 81 Part 1 (Assassin's Creed 2, Left 4 Dead 2)". YouTube. 20 November 2009.
- "Playr Ep 129 Pt 2 (Fallout New Vegas, LEGO universe)". YouTube. 19 October 2010.
- "PLAYR". IMG Media Programming. Retrieved 1 June 2011.[dead link]
- "Marc Cieslak". Voices Pro. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Where's The Show?". PlayrHQ. 25 April 2009.
- "Wish You Were Here!". PlayrHQ. 1 May 2009.
- "Playr Returns to UK screens on Film 24". PlayrHQ. 5 September 2009.
- "Apology". PlayrHQ. 22 July 2010. Archived from the original on 25 November 2010.
- "Canis handling Film24 Sky channel sale". Digital Spy. 22 June 2010.
- "Film24 operators call in Canis Media". Broadcast. 22 June 2010.
- "Playr returns to UK TV screens this weekend". PlayrHQ. 1 June 2011.
- "Sleeping Quietly". PlayrHQ. 19 March 2013.
|This article relating to a television programme from the UK is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This video game culture–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|