Plaza-Midwood (Charlotte neighborhood)
|Neighborhood Profile Areas||378|
|Chatham Estates ||1903|
|Founded by||Paul Chatham|
|• City Council||Larken Egleston (D)|
|• Total||370 ha (914 acres)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area codes||704, 980|
|Quality of Life Dashboard|
Plaza-Midwood is a neighborhood located approximately one mile to the northeast of Uptown in Charlotte, North Carolina. The neighborhood is roughly bound by Hawthorne Lane to the west, The Plaza to the north, Briar Creek Road and the Charlotte Country Club to the east and Central Avenue to the south.
Locally known as one of Charlotte's most diverse and eclectic neighborhoods, it is filled with art galleries, funky stores, and restaurants. Just south of Central Avenue in the Plaza-Midwood neighborhood is the 19 acre Veterans Park.
Plaza-Midwood was first established in 1910 as a streetcar suburb of Charlotte. The Oakland Land Company was responsible for the layout of the roads within the neighborhood. Through the Great Depression, Plaza-Midwood would thrive, before its decline commenced in the 1950s.
By 1975, the Plaza Midwood Neighborhood Association was established to protect and preserve the neighborhood.
Since the mid-1990s, the area has seen a dramatic comeback as reinvestment has transformed once dilapidated homes into funky urban dwellings. It continued redevelopment has spilled over into other surrounding neighborhoods, and resulted in the overall renaissance of the former inner-ring suburbs of old Charlotte.
Plaza-Midwood's Historic District is located in the western section of the neighborhood and is maintained by residents and business operators. The area along The Plaza, Thomas Avenue and parts of Pecan and Clement were designated as a Local Historic District in 1992. The district is now regulated by the Historic District Commission.
As of 2010, Plaza-Midwood had a population of 3,993. The racial makeup of the neighborhood was 84.2% White American, 8.2% Black or African American, 1.6% Asian American, and 2.8% of some other race. Hispanic or Latino American of any race were 3.2% of the population. The median household income for the area was $97,576.
The following buses from the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) serve the Plaza-Midwood neighborhood:
- #4 (Country Club)
- #9 (Central Avenue)
- #17 (Commonwealth)
- #39 (Eastway)
Five stops are planned for the future CityLynx Gold Line streetcar, with stations proposed for Hawthorne at Barnhardt, the Plaza, St. Julien Street, Iris Drive, and Morningside Drive. There are also possible plans for a stop along the future Silver Line light rail in Plaza-Midwood, though an alignment for the line hasn't been finalized.
The major thoroughfares are Central Avenue, Hawthorne Lane and The Plaza.
Bars, Restaurants & Shopping
- Thomas Street Tavern
- Legion Brewing
- Pilot Brewing
- Burial Craft Beer Co
- Catawba Brewing Company Charlotte
- Common Market
- Hattie's Tap & Tavern
- Members Only Tasting Room & Social
- Resident Culture Brewing
- Rumaway Cave
- The Hop Shop
- The Workman's Friend
- Thirsty Beaver Saloon
- Whiskey Warehouse
- Zada Jane's Corner Cafe
- Snooze A.M Eatery
- Bistro La Bon
- Midwood Smokehouse
- Diamond Restaurant
- Calle Sol
- YAFO Kitchen
- Abugida Ethiopian Café & Restaurant
- Akahana Asian Bistro
- Central Coffee Co.
- Cheat's Cheesesteak Parlor
- Cold Hearted Gelato
- Dave's Hot Chicken
- Deli St
- Emmy Squared
- Enat Ethiopian Restaurant
- Fuel Pizza
- Giddy Goat Coffee Roasters
- House of Pizza
- Las Delicias Bakery
- Letty's on Shamrock
- Lulu's Maryland Style Chicken & Seafood
- Mama's Caribbean Grill & Bar
- Marble Slab Creamery
- Mattie's Diner
- Moo & Brew
- Paper Plane Deli & Market
- Peculiar Rabbit
- Pho Hoa
- Pure Pizza
- Smooth Monkey
- Soul Central
- Summit Coffee
- The Good Wurst Company
- The Grinning Mule
- The Pizza Peel
- The Amigos Mexican Grill & Cantina
- Two Scoops Creamery
- Undercurrent Coffee
- Vilani's Bakery
- Moxie Mercantile
- Book Buyers
- Gumbo Goods
- Betty by Moxie Mercantile
- Black Sheep
- Boris & Natasha
- Charlotte Collective
- House of Africa
- I've Read It In Books
- Lunchbox Records
- Midwood Barbers
- Roam & Dwell
- Slate Interiors
- Social Status
- Value Village Thrift Store
- White Rabbit
Education and libraries
Residents of Plaza-Midwood attend Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, including Eastway Middle School, Garinger High School and Shamrock Gardens Elementary School.
Plaza-Midwood is served by the Plaza Midwood branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. The library is located on the corner of the Central Avenue and the Plaza.
References in popular culture
Pop musician Jon Lindsay included a reference to the neighborhood (in which he also owns a home) in the title of his official label debut LP, Escape From Plaza-Midwood, released August 17, 2010 on Chocolate Lab Records. Plaza Midwood was also used as Little Korea for the USA Network pilot for the show "The Novice" in December 2013  35°13′14.23″N 80°48′39.71″W / 35.2206194°N 80.8110306°W
- ^ Hanchett, Thomas. "Plaza-Midwood". Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission. Retrieved May 7, 2016.
- ^ "Neighborhood Profile Area (in acres)". City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and UNCC. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- ^ a b "Neighborhood Profile Population". City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and UNCC. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- ^ "Charlotte Neighborhood Quality Of Life Study for Plaza-Midwood". CharMeck.org. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- ^ Morman, Ebony (October 5, 2021). "The changing look of Charlotte's Plaza Midwood neighborhood". Business North Carolina. Retrieved December 11, 2022.
- ^ a b c d "Plaza-Midwood History". PlazaMidwood.org. Retrieved 2006-10-25.
- ^ "Mecklenburg County Park and Rec: Veterans Park". Charmeck.org. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- ^ Wygant, Erin (August 10, 2017). "Block by Block: Plaza Midwood Then And Now". wfae.org. Retrieved December 11, 2022.
- ^ Soloff Peralta, Katie (September 7, 2021). "See renderings of the development that will forever change the heart of Plaza Midwood". Axios Charlotte. Retrieved December 11, 2022.
- ^ "Quality of Life Dashboard". City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and UNCC. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- ^ "System Map" (PDF). Charlotte Area Transit System. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- ^ "CityLYNX Gold Line". City of Charlotte. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- ^ "LYNX Silver Line/Southeast Corridor Transit Study". Charlotte Area Transit System. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- ^ Lang, Hannah (September 7, 2021). "The heart of Plaza Midwwod will soon undergo major changes, here's the latest". The Charlotte Observer. Retrieved November 12, 2022.
- ^ "Thomas Street Tavern". Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority. Retrieved November 12, 2022.
- ^ "Legion Brewing Hours + Location". Legionbrewing.com. Retrieved November 12, 2022.
- ^ "Our Story So Far – Zada Jane's Corner Cafe". zadajanes.net. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Snooze Plaza Midwood". snoozeeatery.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Our Story – Bistro La Bon". bistrolabon.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Our Locations". midwoodsmokehouse.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Diamond Restaurant Homepage". thediamondresturant.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "About – Calle Sol Neighborhood Latin Café & Cevicheria". callesolcafe.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Welcome to SupperLand: Southern Steakhouse meets Church Potluck". supper.land. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Homepage – YAFO Kitchen". yafokitchen.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Welcome to Akahana Asian Bistro: Come Have Fun With Us". akahanaasianbistro.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Central Coffee Co Official Website". centralcoffeeco.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Welcome to Cheat's Chessesteak Parlor". cheatschessesteaks.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Cold Hearted Gelato: Home". coldheartedgelato.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ Barrero, Laura (August 31, 2022). "Gourmet gelato shop Cold Hearted Gelato opens in Plaza Midwood". Charlotte Axios. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ Malbrough, Monica (September 27, 2022). "Dave's Hot Chicken opens first Charlotte location". WCNC.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Deli st – Plaza Midwood Charlotte". delistclt.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Dish – Charlotte". eatatdish.com. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Plaza Midwood: Charlotte, North Carolina Hours + Location". Emmy Squared Pizza. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Enat Ethiopian Restaurant: Experience the Taste of Ethiopia". Enatethiopianresturant.com. Retrieved November 12, 2022.
- ^ "Fuel Pizza Pickup & Delivery". fuelpizzamenu.com. Retrieved November 10, 2022.
- ^ "Welcome to The Giddy Goat Coffee Roasters!". giddygoat.com. Retrieved November 12, 2022.
- ^ "House of Pizza – Charlotte – Menu & Hours – Order Delivery". House of Pizza Charlotte. Retrieved November 12, 2022.
- ^ "Intermezzo – Charlotte". intermezzopizzeria.com. Retrieved November 12, 2022.
- ^ "Letty's on Shamrock Homepage". lettyonshamrock.com. Retrieved December 11, 2022.
- ^ Finley, Heidi (March 17, 2022). "The new Lulu's Maryland Style Chicken & Seafood location in Plaza Midwood is now open". The Charlotte Observer. Retrieved December 11, 2022.
- ^ "Mama's Caribbean Grill: Enjoy The Best Caribbean Cuisine Charlotte Has To Offer". Mamascaribbeangrill.com. Retrieved December 11, 2022.
- ^ "Marble Slab Creamery – Plaza Midwwod – Order Online". Marble Slab Creamery. Retrieved December 11, 2022.
- ^ Thomas, Jennifer (May 21, 2021). "Marble Slab Creamery, Great American Cookies to open in Plaza Midwood". Charlotte Business Journal. Retrieved December 11, 2022.
- ^ "At long last: Milkbread opens first Charlotte location in Plaza Midwood". The Charlotte Observer. October 10, 2022. Retrieved December 12, 2022.
- ^ "Charlotte – Moo & Brew". mooandbrew.com. Retrieved December 13, 2022.
- ^ "Paper Plane Deli & Market Homepage". paperplanedeliandmarket.com. Retrieved December 13, 2022.
- ^ Geiger, A.W. (February 19, 2020). "A local coffee shop has closed, but this new deli and market will take it's place". The Charlotte Observer. Retrieved December 13, 2022.
- ^ "Soul Central: Southern Home Cooking". soulcentralfood.com. Retrieved December 11, 2022.
- ^ "Moxie Mercantile – Moxie Mercantile LLC". moxiemercantile.com. Retrieved December 11, 2022.
- ^ "Midwood Barbers – Barbershop in Charlotte". midwoodbarbers.com. Retrieved December 13, 2022.
- ^ "Eastway Middle School – Charlotte-Mecklemburg Schools". cmsk12.org. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Shamrock Gardens Elementary School – Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools". cmsk12.org. Retrieved November 9, 2022.
- ^ "Plaza Midwood branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County". Archived from the original on 2009-01-20. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- ^ "New TV show shuts down Charlotte streets, transforms neighborhood". Archived from the original on 2014-02-22. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
Coordinates: 35°13′14″N 80°48′40″W / 35.22062°N 80.81103°W
- Byers, Jeff (2004). Plaza-Midwood Neighborhood of Charlotte. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 9780738517018.
- Media related to Plaza-Midwood (Charlotte, North Carolina) at Wikimedia Commons
- neighborhood web site
- Charlotte Neighborhood Quality Of Life Study for Plaza-Midwood from CharMeck.org
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission driving tour of Plaza-Midwood