Plaza Ferdinand VII
Plaza Ferdinand VII
The plaza, with the Chipley monument in the center
|Location||Pensacola, Florida, USA|
|Area||2 acres (0.81 ha)|
|NRHP Reference #||66000264|
|Added to NRHP||October 15, 1966|
|Designated NHL||October 9, 1960|
The Plaza Ferdinand VII is an outdoor garden and park in the historic district of Pensacola, Florida. It is located on Palafox Street between Government and Zaragoza Streets. It was named after Ferdinand VII of Spain, the King of Spain between 1813 and 1833.
The cession of Florida to the United States from Spain occurred at the Plaza on July 17, 1821. General Andrew Jackson made a public speech to townspeople, informing them that the land was now the Florida Territory, and that Pensacola would be its capital. General Jackson was later sworn in as first Territorial Governor in the plaza. A bust of Jackson now stands at the spot where he was inaugurated. The bust was donated by the Pensacola Historic Preservation Society.
In 1989, the plaza was listed in A Guide to Florida's Historic Architecture, published by the University of Florida Press.
Archaeologists, in 2002, discovered evidence of British structures previously not known to have existed in that area.
New Year's Celebration
Notable Buildings near the Plaza
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "National Register of Historical Places - Florida (FL), Escambia County". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-09-22.
- "Plaza Ferdinand VII". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2009-09-10.
- Blanche Higgins Schroer (1977). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Plaza Ferdinand VII" (pdf). National Park Service. and Accompanying five photos, from 1968 and 1975 (32 KB)
- A Guide to Florida's Historic Architecture, 1989, Gainesville: University of Florida Press, p. 7, ISBN 0-8130-0941-3
- Media related to Plaza Ferdinand VII at Wikimedia Commons
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. FL-207, "Plaza Ferdinand VII, Palafox, Government, Jefferson, & Zaragoza Streets, Pensacola, Escambia County, FL", 5 photos, 4 data pages, supplemental material