|Municipality and village|
|• City Mayor||Juan Carlos Giannattasio, (Movimiento Popular Neuquino)|
|• Total||10,000 sq mi (30,000 km2)|
|Elevation||1,775 ft (541 m)|
|• Total||13 172|
|Time zone||3 hours behind of GMT|
Plaza Huincul is a small city in Neuquen province, with a population of around 13,000 people, located in southwestern Argentina. It is approximately 1,288 km South West from the capital, Buenos Aires. Plaza Huincul is located in the middle of the desert and grew thanks to an oil discovery in the area in 1918.It is said that the largest fossils in the world are found there; for example, the Argentinosaurs.
Plaza Huincul has an oil & gas refinery that belongs to YPF, an Argentinian oil company and it shares various common factors with the city of Cutral Có (mostly with its paleontological tourism). One of the most important roads in the province go through Plaza Huincul: National Road Number 22.
Its economy is mainly around oil & gas services. There is a growing number of farms that raise sheep and goats
The area around what is Plaza Huincul today was first seen in 1876 during the "Desert Campaign". In 1876, a Chilean man by the surname of Campos and his wife Carmes Funes (known as "Pastoverde", translating into green grass) are said to be the ones who first settled into Plaza Huincul and welcomed travelers in case they needed a break; for example, the Pehuenches and Mapuches tribes. They later permanently lived in Plaza Huincul.  Plaza Huincul stands for Plaza of the hills.
The town grew rapidly when in September 13th, 1918, YPF took employees to Plaza Huincul to work on the first oil rig for YPF (Yacimientos Petroliferos Fiscales). Plaza Huincul then inaugurated a train station on 20th November, 1921.  A reminder of this is still in place today as a big arch showing the entrance to YPF camp. 
On 1st February, 1967 Plaza Huincul became a Municipality (city).
The Argentinosaurus is the largest dinosaur to walk on earth and it was first discovered in Plaza Huincul by Guillermo Heredia. It is estimated that it lived on Earth 94-97 million years ago. The Argentinosaurus has a height of 35 meters and Paleontologists have estimated that it may have weighed as much as 75 to 100 tonnes. The Argentinosaurus was first discovered by a farmer who mistook the evidence of a dinosaurs to petrified wood 
Plaza Huincul is in Neuquen province, which is in the western area of Argentina. Plaza Huincul lies upon the coordinates of: 38°55′00″S and 69°09′00″W. Plaza Huincul has an estimated area of 30,000km^2 and lies in a relatively flat and low-lying area. The city has been built along the Roads number 17 (Province) and number 22 (National). Road 17 connects Plaza Huincul with Osorno, Chile and even Bariloche. Plaza Huincul is situated around 161 km from international border between Argentina and Chile.
Plaza Huincul features a desert climate. Temperatures vary throughout the year with an average of 13.1 °C. The hottest month is January with an average of 29 degrees Celsius, where the coldest month is July with an average of 0 degrees Celsius. Plaza Huincul sees low precipitation with an overall value of 157mm per year and around 13mm every month.
|Climate Data for Plaza Huincul|
|Average temperature °C (°F)||21.0
|Average high °C (°F)||29.0
|Average low °C (°F)||13.1
|Average rainfall mm||4||11||8||19||18||18||13||10||12||19||11||14||13|
|Source: Climate-Data.org |
- Ministerio del Interior (Spanish)
- "Ruta de Buenos Aires a Plaza Huincul | Argentina (ruta opcional #1)". www.granviajero.com. Retrieved 2016-02-14.
- "Historia de Cutral-có y Plaza Huincul- Neuquén | www.VisitingArgentina.com". www.VisitingArgentina.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 2016-02-12.
- "San Martin de los Andes". heraldicaargentina.com.ar. Retrieved 2016-02-15.
- "Historia de Cutral-Có / Plaza Huincul: Historia de la ciudad y la zona". WelcomeArgentina. Retrieved 2016-02-15.
- "Plaza Huincul, pcia. de Neuquén, Argentina - Guia Turistica". www.ruta0.com. Retrieved 2016-02-15.
- "BBC Nature - Argentinosaurus videos, news and facts". Retrieved 2016-02-11.
- Vivienda, Ministerio del Interior, Obras Públicas y. "Ministerio del Interior, Obras Públicas y Vivienda". Ministerio del Interior, Obras Públicas y Vivienda. Retrieved 2016-02-15.
- "Clima: Plaza Huincul - Climograma, Diagrama de temperatura, Tabla climática - Climate-Data.org". es.climate-data.org. Retrieved 2016-02-14.
|This article about a place in Neuquén Province, Argentina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|