Please Don't Tease
|"Please Don't Tease"|
|Single by Cliff Richard and the Shadows|
|B-side||"Where Is My Heart?"|
|Released||24 June 1960|
|Recorded||25 March 1960, EMI Studios, London|
|Genre||Rock 'n' Roll|
|Songwriter(s)||Bruce Welch, Pete Chester|
|Cliff Richard and the Shadows singles chronology|
"Please Don't Tease" is a 1960 song recorded by Cliff Richard and the Shadows. Recorded in March and released as a single in June, the song became their third No. 1 on the UK Singles Chart spending three weeks at the summit. The song was written by the Shadows' rhythm guitarist Bruce Welch together with Pete Chester.
To decide upon the release of this track as a single, Richard's record company recruited a teenage panel to listen to and vote on a selection of his unreleased tracks. "Please Don't Tease" won the vote and was duly released, "Nine Times Out of Ten" came second and was the follow-up single.
In 1978, the song was revisited in a contemporary arrangement and added to his live repertoire. It was played without The Shadows at their reunion concerts in March 1978 (as recorded on Thank You Very Much), and recorded in the studio and released as the B-side of "Please Remember Me" in July 1978.
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||1|
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||2|
|India (The Voice, Culcutta)||1|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||8|
|New Zealand (Lever Hit Parade)||1|
- Lewry, Peter; Goodall, Nigel (1991). Cliff Richard The Complete Recording Sessions 1958-1990. London: Blandford. pp. 33, 162, 167. ISBN 0-7137-2242-8.
- "Cliff Richard: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- British News notes: Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (4 July 1960). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. p. 7. ISSN 0006-2510.
- British News notes: Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (12 September 1960). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. p. 6. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Please Don't Tease at AllMusic
- Lewry, Peter; Goodall, Nigel (1996). The Ultimate Cliff (doc)
|url=(help) (1996 Updated ed.). Simon and Schuster Ltd, London. p. 206. ISBN 0-684-81696-2.
- Kent, David (2005). Australian Chart Book 1940–1969 (doc)
|url=(help). Australian Chart Book Pty Ltd, Turramurra, N.S.W. ISBN 0-646-44439-5.
- "France singles positions". Dominic DURAND / Infodisc. Archived from the original on 2014-04-13. Retrieved 2014-04-27.
- "Please Don't Tease" is listed at number 1 for the month of September and number 5 for October.Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (31 October 1960). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. p. 9. ISSN 0006-2510.
- The Official Charts in Ireland began on October 4, 1962. Chart positions before that are taken from the Evening Herald Chart which was a Top Ten single chart published by the Irish daily newspaper Evening Herald between February 1959 and December 1962. "Ireland singles charts". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2014-04-26.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Cliff Richard – Please Don't Tease" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Lever Hit Parade, 22 Sept 1960". http://www.flavourofnz.co.nz/. Retrieved 2014-06-21. External link in
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Cliff Richard – Please Don't Tease". VG-lista.
- Johansson, Carl-Owe (1980). Rock Around the Clock - Saturday Night Fever 1955-1978 (doc)
|url=(help). Vara, Sweden: Dominique muzic-club.
|This 1960s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|