Please Help Me, I'm Falling
|"Please Help Me, I'm Falling"|
|Single by Hank Locklin|
|from the album Please Help Me, I'm Falling|
|B-side||"My Old Home Town"|
|Hank Locklin singles chronology|
"Please Help Me, I'm Falling" is a 1960 song written by Don Robertson and Hal Blair and first recorded by Hank Locklin. The single was Locklin's most successful recording and was his second number one on the country charts. "Please Help Me, I'm Falling" spent fourteen weeks at the top spot and spent nine months on the country chart and crossed over to the Hot 100 peaking at number eight.
|U.S. Billboard Hot C&W Sides||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||8|
|U.K. Singles Chart||9|
|Norway VG Lista||4|
Later in 1960, Skeeter Davis had a hit with an answer record entitled, "(I Can't Help You) I'm Falling Too" which peaked at number two for three weeks on the Hot C&W Sides charts and number thirty-nine on the Hot 100.
In 1978, Janie Fricke released a cover version of the song as "Please Help Me (I'm Fallin' in Love with You)" and took it to number 12 on the country charts. Unlike Locklin's piano-based, bright mid-tempo version, Fricke's version is a ballad in the country pop vein.
- Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 10 - Tennessee Firebird: American country music before and after Elvis. [Part 2]" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 303.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 376.
- Guinness World Records British Hit Singles 15th Edition. London, UK: Guinness World Records Limited. 2002. p. 301. ISBN 0-85112-187-X.
- "norwegiancharts.com - Hank Locklin - Please Help Me, I'm Falling". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 100.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 164.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 151. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
"He'll Have to Go"
by Jim Reeves
|Billboard Hot C&W Sides
May 16-August 15, 1960
by Cowboy Copas
"The Battle of New Orleans"
by Johnny Horton
|Billboard Hot C&W Sides
number-one single of the year
"I Fall to Pieces"
by Patsy Cline
|This 1960s country song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|