|Studio album by Berlin|
January 26, 1983 (re-release)
|Label||M.A.O./Enigma (1982), re-released by Geffen
|Producer||Daniel van Ratten|
|Singles from Pleasure Victim|
Pleasure Victim is the second studio album by the American new wave band Berlin. The original album was recorded in 1982 and released that year by independent label Enigma Records. After considerable attention received by the second single, "Sex (I'm A...)", the album was re-released worldwide by Geffen Records on January 26, 1983. The album marked the return of lead singer Terri Nunn to the group. To date, it is Berlin's best-selling album and was certified gold by the RIAA in September 1984 and platinum in February 1993. It is the only one of Berlin's albums to be certified platinum and the first that reached gold; two subsequent studio albums and a greatest hits compilation were also certified gold.
After "Sex (I'm A...)", two subsequent singles followed: "The Metro" (April 1983), considered a "masterpiece" of '80s new wave, and "Masquerade" (September 1983). These three singles all charted on the Billboard Hot 100.
All songs were written by bassist John Crawford, except "Sex (I'm A...)", to which Nunn and keyboardist David Diamond contributed, and "Masquerade", written by Chris Ruiz-Velasco.
Originally including seven tracks on both vinyl and cassette, Pleasure Victim is sometimes listed as being an EP album. Subsequent cassette and CD versions of Pleasure Victim added an eighth track, an extended version of "Sex (I'm A ...)." According to John Crawford, the album's reissue on Geffen Records is identical to the original Enigma Records release aside from "a little remixing".
All songs written and composed by John Crawford, except where indicated.
|1.||"Tell Me Why"||5:34|
|3.||"Sex (I'm A...)"||John Crawford, Terri Nunn, David Diamond||5:08|
|6.||"World of Smiles"||3:50|
|Geffen reissue bonus track|
|8.||"Sex (I'm A...) (Extended Version)"||John Crawford, Terri Nunn, David Diamond||8:10|
|Canadian Albums Chart||22|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||12|
|U.S. Billboard 200||30|
- Terri Nunn: lead vocals
- Chris Ruiz-Velasco: guitar
- David Diamond: synthesizer, backing vocals, guitar
- John Crawford: bass, co-lead vocals (3), synthesizer
- Daniel Van Patten: drums, electronic percussion
- Ric Olsen: Guitar
- Rod Learned: Drums on "Tell Me Why"
- Produced, recorded and engineered by Daniel Van Patten
- Assistant engineer: Jon Saint James
- Mixed by "Maomen"
- Grein, Paul (Oct 13, 1984), "More Gold for Elton, Chicago", Billboard: 4
- Pleasure Victim at AllMusic
- Meyer, Marianne (June 1983). "We Now Take 'Sex' Seriously, Thanks to a Shot in the Dark". Record 2 (8): 6.
- Steffen Hung (2012-02-27). "New Zealand charts portal". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- Original Geffen vinyl record cover