Pleco logo, the Chinese character for "fish"
|Founded||New York, NY, United States (2000)|
Pleco allows different ways of input, including Pinyin input method, English words, handwriting and through optical character recognition. It has many sets of dictionaries (including the Oxford, Longman, FLTRP, and Ricci), audio recordings from two different native speakers, and has flashcards functions and document reader which looks up words in a document. Pleco is a free application with in-app purchases (depending on the operating system), additional functions and large dictionaries (to-date, 2014, English, French, German, Mandarin, Cantonese, classical Chinese, and a traditional Chinese medicine reference).
Application was first launched on the Palm Pilot in 2001. In 2013 Pleco had one of the major upgrades. Pleco Chinese Dictionary 3.0 was released for iOS users. In November 2017, Endymion Wilkinson's Chinese History: A New Manual was added.
Pleco requires an iPhone 3GS or later, an iPad 2 or later, or a Retina-display-equipped iPod Touch. The Android version requires Android 2.3 or later, and is available outside of Google Play for users in China or with non-Google Android devices like the Amazon Kindle Fire.
- About Pleco, retrieved April 1, 2014
- Millward, Steven (January 26, 2012). "Pleco: Chinese Character Recognition App Finally Comes to Android". Tech in Asia. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Shu, Catherine (January 25, 2013). "Translator App Waygo Reads Chinese Menus For Hungry Travelers". Techcrunch. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "My Back Pages: Digital Diary Traces Memories". Chengdu Living. November 25, 2010. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Chen, David (January 31, 2010). "Tech Review: Taiwan: Pleco for iPhone and iPod touch". Taipei Times. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Butler, Robert (March 12, 2013). "The Only Chinese Dictionary App Worth Your Time". Language Clan. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Pleco Chinese Dictionary for iOS and Android Version 3.0". Language Resource Group. February 12, 2014. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Chinese History: A New Manual
- Pleco Chinese Dictionary for iOS and Android, retrieved April 1, 2014
- Webster, Graham (April 14, 2008). "Pleco may be bringing a full-featured Chinese dictionary to iPhone". cNet. Retrieved April 1, 2014.