Plectranthus nummularius Briq.
The plant has aromatic glossy, green, round leaves, which show a deep purple color in the center sometimes and tend to trail. This deep purple can also be found on the plant stems and on the underside of leaves. The upright racemes appear white, pale violet or pale pink and can sprout sporadically throughout the year.
The name "Swedish ivy" is deceptive: the plant is not thigmotropic (meaning it does not cling to walls with the roots when it grows), is not native to Sweden, and is not closely related to the genus of ivy (Hedera). Some variegated, slivery plants called Swedish Ivy grown in pots and hanging baskets are Plectranthus oertendahlii from coastal river gorges of KwaZulu-Natal.
Plectranthus verticillatus is native to southern Africa where it occurs in the Cape Provinces, KwaZulu-Natal, Swaziland, the Northern Provinces and southern Mozambique. It is found naturalized in El Salvador, Honduras, the Leeward Islands, the Venezuela Antilles, the Windward Islands, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Hawaii as well as south-east Queensland and coastal areas of New South Wales in Australia.
Use as ornamental plant
Plectranthus verticillatus is a robust plant doing well in indirect sunlight, mostly cultivated as hanging houseplant. In frost-free areas it is also found as groundcover in gardens or sprouting down walls.
- "Plectranthus nummularius Briq". African flowering plants database. Conservatoire et Jardin Botaniques Ville de Geneve. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
- cf. theplantlist.org: Plectranthus verticillatus (L.f.) Druce. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Swedish ivy Plectranthus verticillatus". Weeds of Australia. University of Queensland. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- cf. Description and picture at plantzafrica.com: Plectranthus verticillatus (L.f.) Druce. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Plectranthus verticillatus | Money Plant, Gossip | PLANTBOOK". PLANTBOOK. 2015-04-07. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "Plectranthus verticillatus | Plantz Africa". pza.sanbi.org. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- cf. World Checklist of Selected Plant Families: Plectranthus verticillatus_id=158574. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Conn, B.J. "Plectranthus verticillatus (L.f.) Druce". PlantNET - New South Wales Flora Online. Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust, Sydney Australia. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Swedish Ivy Plant Care - Plectranthus species". Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "Plectranthus verticillatus - Planting, growing and propagating information from iGarden". www.igarden.com.au. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "Plectranthus australis". www.mobot.org. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Plectranthus verticillatus.|
|This Lamiaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|