It is unknown whether Pleistarchus was married.
Pleistarchus' father King Leonidas perished in 480 B.C. at the Battle of Thermopylae. For the early part of Pleistarchus' reign, first his uncle Cleombrotus and then, after Cleombrotus' death (in 479 B.C.), his cousin Pausanias acted as regent because Pleistarchus was not of age.
The successor of Pleistarchus was Pleistoanax, son of Pausanias.
Pleistarchus as king of the Spartans is a major character in Sacred Games, by Gary Corby.
A young Pleistarchus (titled Leo Jr.) was portrayed by Hunter Clary in the 2008 parody feature film Meet the Spartans.
|Family tree of King Pleistarchus|
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology/Pleistarchus 1.
- Jona Lendering (2006-03-31). "Eurypontids and Agiads". Livius.org. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- Herodotus; Histories, A. D. Godley (translator), Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1920; ISBN 0-674-99133-8. Online version at the Perseus Digital Library.
- "Gorgo of Sparta". Ancienthistory.about.com. 2011-07-07. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- Herodotus, The Greek-Persian War (Osiris, Budapest, 2000) ISBN 963-379-309-2
- The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides
|Agiad King of Sparta
480 – 458 BC