Plevna was platted in 1877. According to author and name historian Robert Ramsay, the community is named after Plevna, Bulgaria, site of a Russian victory at the Siege of Plevna during the Russo-Turkish War. A post office has been in operation at Plevna since 1877.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Plevna, Missouri
- "Knox County Place Names, 1928–1945 (archived)". The State Historical Society of Missouri. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names 2nd edition. Columbia, Missouri: University of Missouri Press. 1973. ISBN 0-8262-0586-0.
- Eaton, David Wolfe (1916). How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named. The State Historical Society of Missouri. p. 182.
- "Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
|This Knox County, Missouri state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|