Plot 3a Princes Dock
|Plot 3a Princes Dock|
|Location||Prince's Dock, Liverpool, England, United Kingdom|
|Antenna spire||105 metres (344 ft)|
|Design and construction|
Plot 3a Princes Dock is a 33-storey mixed use building that has been approved for construction alongside Prince's Dock at the waterfront of Liverpool, England. If and when built, it will stand alongside the likes of 1 Princes Dock and Alexandra Tower. Besides West Tower, Radio City Tower and Liverpool Cathedral, Plot 3a Princes Dock is the only structure over 100 metres (328 ft) that has been approved for construction in the city's history. Planning permission has been granted for the building on two occasions (2007 and 2011), despite this construction is still yet to commence.
The initial design proposal for Plot 3a Princes Dock was released to the public in August, 2006. The design differed slightly from the current one, it was slightly taller at 112.5 metres (369 ft) and was to contain 183 apartments alongside a 135 bedroom hotel. Following concerns and criticism in early 2007, Plot 3a Princes Dock was reduced in height. Consultation between the developer, architect, CABE, English Heritage and Liverpool City Council lead to the building being shortened to its current proposed height of 105 metres (344 ft). The number of hotel rooms were also decreased to around 150. The reason given for the alterations of the design proposal were that it would look too tall and out of places in comparison to the city's historic Three Graces, despite this the building was only reduced by three storeys. There are also currently numerous other structures in Liverpool taller than Plot 3a Princes Dock less than half a mile away.
Plot 3a Princes Dock was given approval in mid-2007, however despite the site being completely clear to begin construction, the building is still yet to be constructed. Since 2007, developers Peel Holdings have concentrated their efforts on the nearby Liverpool Waters project instead of Plot 3a Princes Dock, however planning permission was again approved in February 2011 (since the original planning permission had lapsed in early 2010). The status of Plot 3a Princes Dock remains fairly vague to this day.
- "Plot 3a Princes Dock". Skyscrapernews. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "News: RMJM pens latest Liverpool tower". Emporis. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "Tall Buildings of Liverpool". Emporis. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "Peel Wins Permission For 3a Princes Dock Again". Skyscrapernews. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- "RMJM Proposes Slender Liverpool Tower". Skyscrapernews. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "Plot 3a Princes Dock Reduced in Height". Skyscrapernews. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "Hotel Update" (PDF). Liverpool City Council. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "RMJM Liverpool Tower Approved". Skyscrapernews. Retrieved 2010-03-25.