A plot of Wikipedia statistics in Ploticus
|Original author(s)||Steve Grubb|
|Initial release||August 25th, 1999|
|Stable release||2.42 / May, 2013|
|Type||Data analysis, statistical package, Plotting|
Ploticus is a free, open source (GPL) computer program for producing plots and charts from data. It runs under Unix, Solaris, Mac OS X, Linux, and Win32 systems. Community support is customarily done through Yahoo News Groups. Bruce Byfield in Linux.COM described Ploticus as, "...a throwback to the days when Unix programs did one thing, and did it well, using a minimum of system resources."
Graph types and features
At the center of Ploticus lies a scripting language. Through the scripting language, "2-D graphs and... basic statistical functions" are supported. Sophisticated graphs can be developed quickly using scripts previously developed, called "prefabs". Simple graphs can be produced using few parameters in addition to the data. Users can create and modify "prefabs".
Ploticus supports the following types of plot: line plots, filled line plots, category line plots, ranges sweeps, pie graphs, vertical bar graphs, horizontal bar charts, timelines, floating bar segments, bar proportions, scatter plots, heat maps (density grids), single variable distribution, error bars, curve fitting, vector plots, Venn diagrams, Venn magnitude charts, tree diagrams. Features include: scaling and axes, legends, annotations, clickmap, and mouse-over support.
Ploticus has been used for:
As a plug-in
Ploticus can be used as a plug-in with various other software such as:
- Semantic MediaWiki 
- EasyTimeline 
- IPM (Integrated Performance Monitoring), supported by the US NSF
- Asterisk PBX GUI Client
- WikidPad, Wiki-like notebook software
- Ploticus Downloads Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Yahoo News Groups Community Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Linux.COM Ploticus Review Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Old News from Ploticus Accessed 8 February 2008.
- Latest News from Ploticus Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Ploticus Scripting Home Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Ploticus Prefabs Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Ploticus Gallery Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Mouse Phenome Database Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Climate Trending Accessed 9 September 2011.
- Vitalnet Software Accessed 24 October 2011.
- Semantic MediaWiki Accessed 9 September 2011.
- EasyTimeline Accessed 9 September 2011.
- IPM Accessed 4 October 2011.
- astGUIclient Accessed 4 October 2011.
- WikidPad External Graphical Applications