Plovdiv Medical University
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Stefan Kostianev|
It includes the Faculties of Medicine, Dental medicine, Pharmacy, Public Health, a Department of Languages and Specialized training, a medical college and a hospital with 2000 beds. Facilities include laboratories, clinics and units for diagnostics and treatment, research activities and training of medical and dental students. The Central University Library offers the students 170,000 volumes in many languages as well as an Internet hall and a local net system (with Medline and Micromedex available). The university issues a journal called Folia Medica, which is exchanged with more than 326 specialists from over 54 countries included in Medline. Every year over 3800 Bulgarian and foreign students are trained at the Medical University - Plovdiv.
The Medical University of Plovdiv was established as a medical faculty of Plovdiv University in 1945. In 1950 the faculty became the independent Medical Academy - Plovdiv. It was renamed in 1972 to Higher Medical Institute - Plovdiv. The Faculty of Dental Medicine was established in 1974, while a Medical College was created in 1997 as a subsidiary of the Medical University of Plovdiv. The Higher Medical Institute was renamed to Medical University of Plovdiv in 2002 after a decision by Bulgaria`s National Assembly.
A new building was constructed in 2005, where the Faculty of Dental Medicine is located. The new building has a floor area of 14770 m2 and houses 27 clinical educational rooms, eight seminar rooms, and two auditoriums with a total of 273 places. An auditorium complex with floor area of 2750 m2 was built in 2011 for a total of 5,5 million euro. The new building has six conference rooms and has been nominated for Bulgarian Building of the year in the category of Culture in 2011.  - especially with the improvement of the university`s infrastructure and the introduction of many new programs taught in English. Moreover, foreign students may get enrolled to language courses and study in Bulgarian (which is taught for one year). In 2013 the prize for the Best Foreign Student in Bulgaria was awarded to a student from the Medical University of Plovdiv.
In 2013 the universty was awarded the prize for "Best University" for its leading position in the field of education. The prize was awarded by the European Business Assembly (EBA) at Oxford Summit of Leaders "Science and Education" conference in Oxford, United Kingdom. The EBA is not an internationally recognised awarding body but rather a UK registered limited company that describes its activity as market research and opnion polling. European Business Assembly Limited collects fees from "award winners" who respond to an initial communication. Awards given by the EBA are given solely to institutions that pay a fee with no evidence of competitions, judging, or even set criteria used to determine winners. Other Eastern European and African organisations in both the public and private sector have been recipients of bought awards from the EBA.
The Medical University of Plovdiv has four faculties, one department and one Medical College:
- Training in the Faculty of Medicine lasts six years, and preclinical as well as clinical disciplines are involved, together with a one-year clinical rotation.
- The Faculty of Dental Medicine provides Masters of Science in Dental medicine and offers specialization of doctors of dental medicine.
- Students in the Faculty of Pharmacy obtain the degree of Master of Science, while taking advantage during their studies of laboratories for practical training.
- The Faculty of Public Health offers Bachelor of Health Care Management, Master of Health Care Management, Master of Management of Social Activities and Public Health, Master of Public Health and Health Management, PhD programs (both part- and full time), other postgraduate courses and specialization of medical doctors. All diplomas (both here and in the other faculties) are EU recognized.
- The Department of Languages and Specialized Training' offers training in the Bulgarian language for foreign students as well as Latin training. Modern European languages are taught as well (available to students in the university).
- The Medical College offers eight programs.
- ForumderMedizin.com (Bulgarian)
- About the Faculty of Dental Medicine (Bulgarian)
- The Prime-Minister opened Medical University of Plovdiv`s newest building (Bulgarian)
- Auditorium Complex - Medical University of Plovdiv (Bulgarian)
- Doc. Paskalev: I am leaving 6,5 million euro to the new rector (Bulgarian)
- Our student is student of the year! (Bulgarian)
- Oxford Summit of Leaders 'Science and Education'
- ltd, company check. "EUROPE BUSINESS ASSEMBLY LIMITED. Free business summary taken from official companies house information. Free alerts. Registered as 03964500". Company Check. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- OCCRP. "What Price Honor?". www.occrp.org. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "Bought International Awards to Show Off at Home Turf". Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "HCM Received Worthless Award". Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- Medicine Faculty
- Dental Faculty
- Pharmaceutical Faculty
- Faculty of Public Health
- Department of Languages