Plucky Brit is slang for a British athlete who is brave and determined, especially when success is unlikely. The term is used in popular culture. Success in the 2012 Summer Olympics challenged the stereotype of the British plucky loser. Chris Hoy stated “I think the Brits historically have got used to being the plucky losers. The attitude has been we'll support our lads and our lasses but we don't expect them to win anything. The teams go to the world cup in football and there are the usual tales of woe – losing penalty shoot-outs. It's like inevitable that the Brits are going to get beaten at some point. But I think that's there's a change in that culture in sport.”
- "'This is a very dark day for sport' – funding appeals rejected by UK Sport | Sport | The Guardian". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- "The year British sport got serious | Sport | spiked". spiked-online.com. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "Nicole Cooke suggests Plucky Brit can be slain". Times. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Wheeler, Brian (2005-07-25). "The art of failure". BBC. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards and the Cult of the Plucky Loser, 1988". FT. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Williamson, Laura (2012-12-23). "Farewell to the 'Plucky Brit' syndrome... and good riddance". London: Daily Mail. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Like it or not, Andy Murray's win shows we're the best in the world | Tim Lewis | Sport | The Observer". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "Being British and a ‘good sport’ - the story of ‘Sport and the Law’ | News | Law Society Gazette". lawgazette.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "Great Britain’s Olympic Golds Win Hope, Lift the Public Mood | TIME.com". olympics.time.com. 2012-08-05. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "A nation of winners? Not yet | Life | Sport | spiked". spiked-online.com. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "Andy Murray and the death of the plucky British loser". Channel 4. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Gerard, Jasper (2009-01-31). "Plucky British loser reduced to highlights". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Britons: winners or losers?". YouGov. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "London 2012 Olympics sets the standard for a generation - Report: London Olympic Games 2012 - RFI". english.rfi.fr. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- Millward, David (2013-05-28). "Olympics has turned Britain into nation of winners says Hoy - Telegraph". London: telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
|This article about sports in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|