|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Type of site
|Alexa rank||27,560 (April 2014[update])|
Plum District is headquartered in San Francisco and offers national deals in North America along with local deals in markets including Orange County, Los Angeles, New York City, San Diego, Denver, and San Francisco. In March 2011, Plum District was selected by Facebook as one of nine partners in its short-lived foray into daily deals. Plum District teamed with The Walt Disney Company to launch Disney Family Deals in July 2012.
Founded by Megan Gardner, Susan Kim, who had been serving as interim CEO, permanently took control of the company in March 2013. Raul Vazquez, ex CEO of Walmart.com, joined the Board of Directors in December, 2011. Vazquez was named number 14 on Money Magazine's 40 under 40 list for 2010.
In Series A funding, Plum District received $8.5M in funding from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and General Catalyst Partners, two top U.S venture firms. Previous financing, also Series A, of $2.1M came from a collection of angel investors.
Plum District introduces a distinct deal of the day in each of the local markets it serves. The deal is mailed or delivered electronically to local and national Plum District subscribers. Like all Deal Of The Day sites, Plum District's revenue is generated from affiliate marketing, advertising placements, and joint ventures with the merchants with whom they work.
- "Plumdistrict.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Barr, Alistair. "Facebook ending Deals product after four-month test". Reuters. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- Womack, Brian. "Facebook Will Introduce New Service That Sells Discount Deals". Bloomberg. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- "CEO And Founder Megan Gardner Out At Mom-Centric Deals Site Plum District, Ex-Googler Susan Kim Takes Over". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- Perez, Sarah. "Moms Love Daily Deals: Plum District Raises $20 Million, Acquires Chatterfly & DoodleDeals". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- "40 under 40". CNN Money. Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- Gardner, Megan. "Investing in Mom Power". New York Times. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Layoffs At Plum District Point To Changes In Hyperlocal Deals Market". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- Russell, Frank Michael. "Plum District: Kleiner Perkins leads $8.5M round for deal site for moms". MercuryNews. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Klein, Julie. "Plum District gets $2.1M to bring daily deals to busy moms". VentureBeat. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Crook, Jordan. "Plum District Has Acquired AngelPad-Backed Spotivate For An Undisclosed Amount". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 11 July 2016.