|Directed by||Shin Su-won|
|Produced by||Shin Sang-han
|Written by||Shin Su-won|
|Music by||Ryu Jae-ah|
|Edited by||Lee Do-hyun|
|Distributed by||Sidus FNH|
Pluto (Hangul: 명왕성; RR: Myeong-wang-song) is a 2012 South Korean film written and directed by Shin Su-won about the severity of competition among students at an elite high school, and how far one will go to be at the top.
The film made its world premiere at the 17th Busan International Film Festival and was also screened at the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival where director Shin Su-won received a special mention in the Generation 14plus Section.
Kim Joon, a transfer student of a prestigious high school, is arrested for the murder of one of his classmates. Yoo jin, the top student of his class, was found dead in the woods behind the school and strong evidence and a group of students' testimonies point to Joon, but after some questioning with the police, he is released. Upon returning to the school, he holds the group of students as prisoners in a hidden basement. The students are members of an elite group of students, composed of the top 1% of the school who have access to certain privileges that allows them to keep their ranking high. Dark secrets of the group begin to unfold with flashbacks of how Joon, an ambitious student from an ordinary high school who was desperate to become a member, was asked to perform a series of cruel tasks in order to get in.
- Lee David as Kim Joon
- Sung Joon as Yoo-jin Taylor
- Kim Kkot-bi as Jung Soo-jin
- Jo Sung-ha as Chief detective Park
- Kim Kwon as Han Myung-ho
- Sun Joo-ah as Kang Mi-ra
- Nam Tae-boo as Choi Bo-ram
- Ryu Kyung-soo as Park Jung-jae
- Kim Mi-jeong as Eun-joo
- Park Tae-sung as Literature teacher
- Kil Hae-yeon as Joon's mother
- Oh Jung-woo as Kang Chang-min
- Hwang Jeong-min as Myung-ho's mother
- Kim Jae-rok as Principal
Awards and nominations
|2013||63rd Berlin International Film Festival||Special Mention (Youth Jury Generation 14plus)||Pluto||Won|
|2014||1st Wildflower Film Awards||Best Film||Pluto||Nominated|
|Best Director||Shin Su-won||Nominated|
|Best Actor||Lee David||Nominated|
|Best Cinematography||Yun Ji-woon||Nominated|
|50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress||Sun Joo-ah||Nominated|
- Jang, Sung-ran (4 February 2013). "Director of PLUTO SHIN Su-won: Showing Realities via Unrealistic Movies". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- "Pluto". Sidus Pictures. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Paquet, Darcy (23 October 2012). "In Focus: Pluto". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Lee, Maggie (25 November 2012). "Review: Pluto". Variety. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Bechervaise, Jason (6 October 2012). "Pluto". Screen International. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Yuh, Suh-young (12 July 2013). "Next up? Ball-swatting ape". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Lee, Claire (19 June 2013). "Filmmakers in conflict with movie-rating organization". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- "Pluto". BIFF.kr. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- "3 Films at the Center of Hot Issues at BIFF: Jiseul, Pluto and Fatal". Korean Film Biz Zone. 19 October 2012. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Conran, Pierce (16 February 2013). "SHIN Su-won's Latest Triumphs in Generation Section". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Shin, Su-won (29 November 2013). "Letter from Paris: PLUTO Director SHIN Su-won Reports on 8th FFCP". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Paquet, Darcy. "Wildflower Film Awards". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- Cremin, Stephen (18 March 2014). "Wildflower Awards celebrates Korean indies". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2014-09-01.