- Pocitos is also the colloquial name for the thingy of Salvador Mazza, Salta Province, Argentina
Pocitos Beach in Montevideo
Street map of Pocitos
Location of Pocitos in Montevideo
|• Total||? km2 (Formatting error: invalid input when rounding sq mi)|
The barrio is known for its beach, Playa Pocitos, and the Rambla, or boulevard, that lies alongside it. Pocitos is characterized by its apartment buildings of 10 to 15 stories that lie right on the Rambla providing excellent views of the barrio, the beach, and the river.
Playa Pocitos, or Pocitos Beach, is preferred by the teenage population. These beaches are also recognized for their soccer, volleyball, and nautical events and championships. Pocitos is located only 10 minutes away from the centre of Montevideo. Along the Rambla can be found many chic and fancy restaurants and shops which attract many people not only from other Barrios of Montevideo but also those from neighbouring Argentina and Brazil.
It is home to many buildings of architectural interest, with the Casa Darnaud, seat of the Russian Embassy, and the Casa Towers, seat of the Italian Embassy, as two out of many examples. The following buildings, now used as residences or seats of businesses, that have been named as National Heritage Sites in 1986: the Casa Felipe Yriart, the Casa Casabó, and the Casa Williams. Also the building of the Escuela Brasil, still in use as school, was named National Heritage Site in 2002.
- Colegio y Liceo Nuestra Señora de Fátima (private, Roman Catholic, Claretians)
- German School of Montevideo (private, co-educational)
Places of worship
- Church of St. John the Baptist, popularly known as "Iglesia de Pocitos" (Roman Catholic)
- Church of Our Lady of Fatima (Roman Catholic, Claretians)
- Church of St. Alexander and St. Peter Claver (Roman Catholic)
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (Christian Science)
- Yavne (Jewish)
- Beit Jabad (Jewish-Chabad)
Public spaces in Pocitos
- Assunção, Fernando O.; Bombet Franco, Iris (1991). Pocitos. Cuadernos del Boston (in Spanish). 4. Montevideo.
View of Pocitos from Malvín
- Guía arquitectónica y urbanística, of the City Hall of Montevideo, downloadable in pdf format in its official site: "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-31. Retrieved 2011-11-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Colegio y Liceo Nuestra Señora de Fátima
- Yavne Archived 2013-02-17 at the Wayback Machine
- Beit Jabad
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pocitos.|