|Colongitude||104° at sunrise|
Poczobutt is a large lunar impact crater that is located on the far side of the Moon, just beyond the northwestern limb in an area occasionally brought into sight due to libration effects. This is a damaged formation that is partly overlain by several named craters. Across the rim to the north-northeast is the crater Smoluchowski. The crater Zsigmondy overlies the northeastern rim, and Omar Khayyam is located in the western part of Poczobutt's interior.
Little of the outer rim of this crater remains intact, and what survives is worn and eroded. The outer rim now forms an irregular ring of peaks, broken in several locations by small craters. The most intact portion of the rim is a small arc along the eastern side. Likewise much of the interior floor is irregular due to overlying impacts or their ejecta. However, there is a level plain in the eastern half of the interior that is almost flat and featureless. This region is marked only by a few low ridges around the fringes and some tiny craterlets. A small crater at the southern edge of this plain has a flooded, featureless interior.
Most of the crater formations associated with Poczobutt are almost as eroded as the main crater. However Poczobutt H, along the outer rim to the northeast, has a sharp, well-defined rim, some terraces along the inner wall, and a higher albedo compared to the surrounding terrain.
By convention these features are identified on lunar maps by placing the letter on the side of the crater midpoint that is closest to Poczobutt.
|J||56.6° N||96.8° W||24 km|
|R||56.0° N||103.5° W||39 km|
- Andersson, L. E.; Whitaker, E. A. (1982). NASA Catalogue of Lunar Nomenclature. NASA RP-1097.
- Blue, Jennifer (July 25, 2007). "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature". USGS. Retrieved 2007-08-05.
- Bussey, B.; Spudis, P. (2004). The Clementine Atlas of the Moon. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-81528-4.
- Cocks, Elijah E.; Cocks, Josiah C. (1995). Who's Who on the Moon: A Biographical Dictionary of Lunar Nomenclature. Tudor Publishers. ISBN 978-0-936389-27-1.
- McDowell, Jonathan (July 15, 2007). "Lunar Nomenclature". Jonathan's Space Report. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Menzel, D. H.; Minnaert, M.; Levin, B.; Dollfus, A.; Bell, B. (1971). "Report on Lunar Nomenclature by the Working Group of Commission 17 of the IAU". Space Science Reviews. 12 (2): 136–186. Bibcode:1971SSRv...12..136M. doi:10.1007/BF00171763.
- Moore, Patrick (2001). On the Moon. Sterling Publishing Co. ISBN 978-0-304-35469-6.
- Price, Fred W. (1988). The Moon Observer's Handbook. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-33500-3.
- Rükl, Antonín (1990). Atlas of the Moon. Kalmbach Books. ISBN 978-0-913135-17-4.
- Webb, Rev. T. W. (1962). Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes (6th revised ed.). Dover. ISBN 978-0-486-20917-3.
- Whitaker, Ewen A. (1999). Mapping and Naming the Moon. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-62248-6.
- Wlasuk, Peter T. (2000). Observing the Moon. Springer. ISBN 978-1-85233-193-1.