|Traditional region||Lower Carniola|
|Statistical region||Central Sava|
|• Total||10.51 km2 (4.06 sq mi)|
|Elevation||221 m (725 ft)|
Podkraj (pronounced [pɔtˈkɾai̯]; German: Podkrai) is a settlement in the Municipality of Hrastnik in central Slovenia. It lies on the right bank of the Sava River. Traditionally the area was part of the Lower Carniola region. It is now included with the rest of the municipality in the Central Sava Statistical Region. It includes the hamlets of Sava (German: Savadörfl), Koritnik, Strušce, Kladje, Ruda, Boriče, and Hribar.
Podkraj is the site of three known mass graves from the period immediately after the Second World War. The Boating Club Mass Grave (Slovene: Grobišče pri Brodarskem društvu) lies on the right bank of the Sava, about 100 m east of the bridge near the Hrastnik Boating Club. It contains the remains of an unknown number of German soldiers that were murdered here in May 1945. The Sava Bridge Mass Grave (Grobišče pri mostu čez Savo) lies on the right bank of the Sava, about 100 m west of the bridge, at the site of a wooden shed. It contains the remains of an unknown number of German soldiers that were murdered here in May 1945. The Gas Station Mass Grave (Grobišče pri bencinskem servisu) is located near the gas station west of Podkraj on the right bank of the Sava. It contains the remains of civilian refugees that were fleeing towards Austria at the end of the war, but were intercepted by the Yugoslav Army at Hrastnik and murdered.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Leksikon občin kraljestev in dežel zastopanih v državnem zboru, vol. 6: Kranjsko. 1906. Vienna: C. Kr. Dvorna in Državna Tiskarna, pp. 88–89.
- Hrastnik municipal site
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 2198
- Boating Club Mass Grave on Geopedia (in Slovene)
- Sava Bridge Mass Grave on Geopedia (in Slovene)
- Gas Station Mass Grave on Geopedia (in Slovene)
|This article about the Municipality of Hrastnik in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|