Poetry of the Deed
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Poetry of the Deed|
|Studio album by Frank Turner|
|Released||7 September 2009|
|Recorded||April - May 2009|
|Label||Xtra Mile Recordings/Epitaph Records|
|Frank Turner chronology|
Poetry of the Deed is the third studio album by London-based singer-songwriter Frank Turner, released on 7 September 2009. The album was released on Xtra Mile Recordings in the UK and Epitaph Records worldwide.
Unlike Turner's previous solo albums, Poetry of the Deed was rehearsed, arranged and recorded with his full band. In the album's liner notes, Turner states: "this album has been more of a collaborative process than on previous efforts, so first and foremost thanks are due to Ben Lloyd, Matt Nasir, Tarrant Anderson and Nigel Powell."
After extensive touring behind the release of Love, Ire & Song in 2008, Turner began writing new material, with a few songs ("Live Fast, Die Old" & "Dan's Song") appearing at gigs in late 2008.
Before recording the album, Turner and his band played four gigs in Oxford in order to road-test 14 new songs. Turner kept fans up to date during the writing and recording of the album via his blog.
The album's first single was "The Road" which received the status as 'Hottest Record in the World Today' by BBC Radio 1's Zane Lowe on 14 July 2009. The title track, "Poetry of the Deed," was released as its second single.
The iTunes deluxe version of the album includes four bonus acoustic tracks along with the music video for "The Road".
All tracks written by Frank Turner.
|1.||"Live Fast Die Old"||4:16|
|2.||"Try This at Home"||1:53|
|4.||"Poetry of the Deed"||3:25|
|6.||"The Fastest Way Back Home"||3:26|
|7.||"Sons of Liberty"||4:28|
|12.||"Our Lady of the Campfire"||3:59|
|13.||"Journey of the Magi"||4:16|
|14.||"The Road" (Acoustic version)||3:54|
|15.||"The Fastest Way Back Home" (Acoustic version)||3:33|
|16.||"Isabel" (Acoustic version)||3:32|
|17.||"Try This At Home" (Acoustic version)||1:56|
|18.||"The Road" (Music Video)||4:19|
- Frank Turner - vocals, acoustic guitar, harmonica
- Ben Lloyd - electric guitar, mandolin, vocals
- Tarrant Anderson - bass guitar
- Matt Nasir - piano, organ, keyboards, vocals
- Nigel Powell - drums, percussion, vocals
- Anna Jenkins - fiddle ("Sons of Liberty")
- Marika Hughes - cello ("Faithful Son", "Our Lady of the Campfires")
- Fergus Coulbeck - accordion ("Sons of Liberty")
- Alex Newport - producer, engineer, mixing
- Dean Curtis - studio assistant
- Chris Tabron - mixing assistant
- Frank Arkwright - mastering
- Chris Bourke - lino-cut
- Alex Newport - band photopraph
- Graham Smith - solo photograph
- Ben Morse - live band photograph
- "Poetry Of The Deed by Frank Turner". Retrieved 5 October 2016.
- "Poetry of the Deed - Frank Turner".
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/dxp2. Missing or empty
- http://www.nme.com/reviews/frank-turner/10851. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090912233939/http://stereokill.net/2009/09/10/poetry-of-the-deed/. Archived from the original on 2009-09-12. Missing or empty
- Poetry of the Deed liner notes
- "Blog". frank-turner.com. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Poetry Of The Deed by Frank Turner Songfacts". Retrieved 5 October 2016.