|16th Prime Minister of Tonga|
|Assumed office |
8 October 2019
|Preceded by||Semisi Sika|
|Born||June 30, 1961|
|Alma mater||Monash University|
Institute of Certified Management Accountants
Pohiva Tu’i’onetoa (born June 30, 1961) is a Tongan accountant and politician serving as the 16th and current prime minister of Tonga since 2019. Tu'i'onetoa succeeded Semisi Sika, who had served as acting prime minister, since the death of ʻAkilisi Pōhiva.
Born in Talafo’ou, Tu’i’onetoa graduated from Institute of Chartered Accountants of New Zealand in 1982, and then the Monash University in 1993. He has a diploma in financial management and a master of business degree. He is also a certified management accountant.
He joined the Tonga Civil Service in January 1979. He was the Official Liquidator of the Commercial Division of the Department of Justice in Hamilton, New Zealand. Between 1983 and 2014 he served as Tonga's Auditor. He was a Private Secretary to King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV from 1987–1988, and also clerk to the Privy Council during the same period.
In the 2014 general election, he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Tonga to represent the constituency of Tongatapu 10. In the government of ʻAkilisi Pōhiva, he was Minister of Labor, Commerce and Industries, and Minister of Police, Prisons and Fire Services. In September 2017 he was appointed Minister of Revenue and Customs, a position he held until January 2018, when he was appointed Minister of Finance and National Planning.
Prime Minister of Tonga
On September 27, 2019, Tu’i’onetoa was elected prime minister by fifteen votes against eight for Semisi Sika, who served as acting prime minister. It was officially announced by King Tupou VI on October 9, 2019.
- "Dr. Pohiva Tu'i'onetoa". www.parliament.gov.to. Retrieved 2019-10-27.
- "Tonga MPs choose Pohiva Tu'i'onetoa as Prime Minister". TVNZ. Retrieved 2019-10-25.
- News, Kaniva. "Tonga's caretaker PM Pōhiva sacks deputy and Finance Minister | Asia Pacific Report". Retrieved 2019-10-25.
- ""The Appointment of Hon. Dr. Pohiva Tu'i'onetoa as the New Prime Minister of Tonga"". Retrieved 2019-10-27.
- "Biography". Retrieved 2019-10-27.
- "Parliament elects Dr Pōhiva Tu'i'onetoa as new PM". Parliament elects Dr Pōhiva Tu‘i‘onetoa as new PM. Retrieved 2019-10-27.
| Prime Minister of Tonga