Poi Solla Porom
|Poi Solla Porom|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||A. L. Vijay|
|Written by||A. L. Vijay
|Screenplay by||Jaideep Sahni
A. L. Vijay
|Story by||Jaideep Sahni|
|Based on||Khosla Ka Ghosla by Dibakar Banerjee & Jaideep Sahni|
T. S. B. K. Moulee
|Music by||M. G. Sreekumar|
Four Frames Pictures
|Distributed by||UTV Motion Pictures|
Poi Solla Porom (Tamil: பொய் சொல்ல போறோம்; English: We Are Going to Lie) is a Tamil comedy film starring Nedumudi Venu, Karthik Kumar and Piaa Bajpai released in 2008. The film is a remake of the Bollywood cult film, Khosla Ka Ghosla.
Sathyanathan (Nedumudi Venu) is a typical middle class man who has just retired. He wants to buy a plot of land in the city and move in with his wife and children - Uppilinathan(Karthik Kumar), Vishwanathan and Sindhu. But his son Uppilinathan - who is a software engineer - has no interest in the house and is keen to leave India for New York, where he has obtained a job. Sathyanathan buys the plot from "World Famous Properties" which is managed by Vijayakumar(Cochin Hanifa). When he goes to break stone to build his house, he finds a compound wall erected over his plot with the nameplate saying "Baby Properties". After numerous attempts to meet him, Sathyanathan finally meets Baby who wants him to pay half the amount paid for the plot to be paid to Baby in order to vacate the plot. The Sathyanathans try to think of solutions and finally resort to hiring thugs to break the compound at night. Sathyanathan is arrested the next morning. Through all this, Uppilinathan's attitude towards his father's problem changes when he sees how attached he is to the property. Uppili meets a travel agent Asifbhai (bosskey) who was baby's assistant and cheated by him . Uppili with help of his girlfriend convince Daddy (mouli), who is a stage actor and got 136 awards, to act as Varma, an NRI businessman from Dubai who has to India to sell a plot which actually belongs to fisheries board of govt. At last the fishery land is given to Baby and the family get their land.The film ends with family of Sathyanathan living happily ever after. Baby's assistant Johnny reveals there is no man in the name of Varma. Baby acknowledges that he has been cheated and decides cover it up to preserve his reputation.
- Nedumudi Venu as K.R.Sathyanathan
- Nassar as Baby
- Karthik Kumar as Uppilinathan alias Uppili
- Omar Lateef as Vishwanathan alias Vicha
- Justina as Sindhu
- Lakshmi Ramakrishnan as Sathyanathan's wife
- Delhi Ganesh as Principal Sir
- Aravind Krishna as Police Inspector
- Piaa Bajpai as Amrutha
- T. S. B. K. Moulee as Daddy
- Balaji Venugopal as Stage Director
- Bosskey as Asif Iqbal (or Asif Bhai)
- John Vijay as Johnny
- V. M. C. Hanifa as Vijayakumar
Music is composed by MG Sreekumar who made his debut as composer with this film while another Malayalam composer Gopi Sundar composed the film score. Title song was not included in the film instead it was used as promotional song, the song was blatantly ripped off from Hindi song "Chak De Phatte" from the original Hindi film.
- Poi Solla Porom - Jassie Gift
- Gandhi Note Kaiyil - Kailash Kher
- Indha Payanthil - Swetha Mohan
- Indha Payanathil II - Ranjith
- Oru Vaarthai Pesamal - Shreya Ghoshal
- Kannamoochi Aattam - Karthik
The film won above average reviews from critics with The Hindu citing that "Vijay’s dialogue, both humorous and thought-provoking, tickles the viewer almost throughout" and that "Vijay has understood the pulse of the audience even while sticking to his stand of providing standard fare".
After Kireedam, Priyadarshan approached Vijay to remake the Hindi film Khosla Ka Ghosla in Tamil under his production house and hence they collaborated to make Poi Solla Porom. The film was completed within 34 days, with a cast containing veteran actors such as Nassar and Nedumudi Venu as well as relative newcomers including Karthik Kumar and Piaa Bajpai. The film also became one of the first ventures in Tamil cinema to feature a promotional song, with Vijay maintaining that the song reflected the story of the film.
- "Cinema Plus / Film Review : Laugh, and pause to think". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2008-09-12. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "Directing Madhrasapattinam -". Rediff Movies. 2010-07-06. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "Promotional song for 'Poi Solla Porom'". Indiaglitz.com. 2008-06-20. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "Stargazing". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 1 August 2008.