Point Clark Lighthouse
The lighthouse in Point Clark
|Year first constructed||1859|
|Tower shape||cylindrical tower with balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern||white tower, red lantern|
|Height||26.5 metres (87 ft)|
|Focal height||28.3 metres (93 ft)|
|Characteristic||Fl W 10s.|
|CHS number||CCG 782|
|Managing agent||Township of Huron-Kinloss|
The lighthouse is 110 feet (34 m) tall, made of limestone brought from Inverhuron by barge. Construction of the lighthouse started in 1857. There are 114 steps from the bottom to the lantern room. The 12 sided cast iron lantern was first lit on April 1, 1859 and is 87 feet (27 m) from the base of the tower. The Point Clark lighthouse was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1966, the first Ontario lighthouse to be so designated.
The lighthouse was built by John Brown in the well-known series of the six Imperial Towers. To help build the lighthouse, several French builders were used. The light was first automated in 1924, but as a result of the poor quality of the light the original second-order fresnel lens was reinstalled. In 1963 the fresnel lens was automated. Its light characteristic is a single white flash every ten seconds, emitted at a focal plane height of 93 feet (28 m).
The lighthouse is owned by Parks Canada. The lightkeeper's house is now a museum operated by the Township of Huron-Kinloss and tourists can tour the lightkeeper's home and the lighthouse from mid June to Labour Day.
- John Young 1859–1882
- David Small 1883
- John Rae 1883–1896
- Murdock McDonald 1897–1914
- George H. Ray 1914–1924
- John E. Ruttle 1926–1938
- John A. Campbell 1938–1946
- John C. Campbell(1947–1962
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of West Central Ontario (Lake Huron Area)". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved January 5, 2016.
- Parks Canada - Point Clark Lighthouse National Historic Site of Canada
- Point Clark Lighthouse, Directory of Designations of National Historic Significance of Canada
- Point Clark Lighthouse. Canadian Register of Historic Places.
- "Point Clark Lighthouse - History". Bruce Coast Lighthouse Tour. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of West Central Ontario (Lake Huron Area)". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 8 September 2008.
- Point Clark Ontario Canada
- Point Clark Lighthouse Lighthouse Friends
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Point Clark Lighthouse.|
|This Ontario lighthouse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|