Point Comfort, Texas
|Point Comfort, Texas|
Location of Point Comfort, Texas
|• Total||1.3 sq mi (3.4 km2)|
|• Land||1.3 sq mi (3.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
|• Density||560/sq mi (216.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1365500|
Point Comfort is located in northeastern Calhoun County at  on the east side of Lavaca Bay. Texas State Highway 35 passes through the community, leading southwest across the bay 7 miles (11 km) to Port Lavaca, the Calhoun County seat, and east 23 miles (37 km) to Palacios.(28.676078, -96.558750),
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Point Comfort has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
2000 Census data
As of the census of 2000, there were 781 people, 284 households, and 214 families residing in the city. The population density was 596.8 people per square mile (230.2/km²). There were 393 housing units at an average density of 300.3 per square mile (115.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 88.99% White, 1.41% African American, 0.26% Native American, 1.79% Asian, 5.89% from other races, and 1.66% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 19.59% of the population.
There were 284 households out of which 39.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.7% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.3% were non-families. 21.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the city, the population was 30.2% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 31.8% from 25 to 44, 17.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 94.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.6 males. The median income for a household in the city was $44,500, and the median income for a family was $49,653. Males had a median income of $35,625 versus $23,571 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,202. About 7.5% of families and 11.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.6% of those under age 18 and 8.2% of those age 65 or over.
Point Comfort is served by the Calhoun County Independent School District. The city was served by Point Comfort Elementary School (Point Comfort), but is now closed, Travis Middle School (Port Lavaca) and Calhoun High School (Port Lavaca)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Point Comfort city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Point Comfort, Texas
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.