Point Loma Nazarene Sea Lions
|Point Loma Nazarene Sea Lions|
|University||Point Loma Nazarene University|
|Conference||Pacific West Conference|
|Athletic director||Ethan Hamilton|
|Location||San Diego, California|
|Basketball arena||Golden Gymnasium|
|Baseball stadium||Carroll B. Land Stadium|
|Colors||Forest Green and Sunset Gold|
The Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lions (also PLNU Sea Lions) are the 11 varsity athletic teams that represent Point Loma Nazarene University, located in San Diego, California, in NCAA Division II intercollegiate sports. Point Loma officially became an active member in the NCAA during the Summer of 2014, which signified the conclusion of their three-year transition process from the NAIA to NCAA Division II. The Sea Lions compete as members of the Pacific West Conference for all sports. PLNU was previously a member of the NAIA's Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC).
In 2002, the mascot was changed from the Crusaders to the Sea Lions. In 2013, Point Loma Athletics also dropped the usage of its 'mythical beast of the sea' logo and its Vegas Gold Color. The Sea Lions added Sunset Gold to their color scheme and also updated their logo, with the help of Joe Bosack Co., to create the current PLNU Athletic Word Mark and Crest.
PLNU has won the National Scholastic Surfing Association college national championship three times, in 1989, 1999, and 2015. Women's golf was added to replace the softball program that was dropped in 2010 due to the lack of a suitable and permanent playing field.
- Point Loma Nazarene University Official Brand Identity - Usage and Style Guide (PDF). March 18, 2014. Retrieved April 17, 2017.
- Point Loma Sports Associates
- "NATIONAL SCHOLASTIC SURFING ASSOCIATION (NSSA)'s Photos - Wall Photos (Photo 314)". June 3, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- "NSSA Interscholastic State Champs hit Huntington Beach". Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "Point Loma Nazarene dropping 4 sports to stay equitable" by Brent Schrotenboer, UNION-TRIBUNE Monday, March 1, 2010