Point Montara Light
Point Montara Lighthouse
|Year first constructed||1875 (fog signal station)
|Year first lit||1928 (relocated)|
|Tower shape||tapered cylindrical tower with balcony and lantern|
|Height||30 feet (9.1 m)|
|Focal height||70 feet (21 m)|
|Original lens||Fourth order Fresnel lens (1912)|
|Current lens||FA 251 lens|
|Characteristic||Fl W 5s.|
|Managing agent||Montara State Beach|
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places|
Point Montara Lighthouse was established in February 1875. It originally had a kerosene lantern, but was upgraded in 1912 to a fourth order Fresnel lens. The current tower was first erected in 1881 in Wellfleet, Massachusetts as the Mayo Beach Lighthouse. In 1925, the cast iron tower from the discontinued Mayo Beach Light was disassembled and moved to Yerba Buena. It was moved and rebuilt as the Point Montara Light station in 1928, where it stands today. The lens was transferred to the San Mateo Historical Society when the lighthouse was automated in 1970, and is currently on display at the library at the College of Notre Dame in Belmont, California.
The following was written prior to 1970: "Three men, including a First Class Boatswains Mate, as Officer-in-Charge, operate Point Montara Light, which provides a light and fog signal. This is a family station with quarters in a duplex constructed in 1961, which contains a 3 bedroom unit. A house built in 1863 provides quarters with a 2 bedroom and a separate relief keepers quarters. The station has no small boats assigned, but does have a pickup truck. Personnel and dependents at Point Montara utilize Government medical facilities, commissary and post exchange in the San Francisco area. The nearest school is within walking distance (1/4 mile) from the station."
Marine Protected Areas
Montara State Marine Reserve & Pillar Point State Marine Conservation Area extend offshore from Montara. Like underwater parks, these marine protected areas help conserve ocean wildlife and marine ecosystems.
- Point Montara The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 13 June 2016
- California Historic Light Station Information & Photography United States Coast Guard. Retrieved 13 June 2016
- "Missing Cape Cod lighthouse located in Calif.". Associated Press. 2008-06-04. Retrieved 2008-06-04.[dead link]
- Hostelling International USA – Point Montara Lighthouse
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: California". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- United States Coast Guard
- LighthouseFriends.com – Point Montara, CA
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Point Montara Light Station
- Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel
- A quiet weekend getaway at Montara
- Newspaper Article on source of 1928 tower
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|