Point Pleasant Borough High School
|Point Pleasant Borough High School|
808 Laura Herbert Drive|
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Point Pleasant School District|
|Enrollment||902 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.4:1|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
Point Pleasant Borough High School is a four-year comprehensive community public high school located on Laura Herbert Drive in Point Pleasant in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. The school serves students in ninth through twelfth grades, operating as the lone secondary school of the Point Pleasant School District. The mascot is the panther, and the school colors are black and gold.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 902 students and 79.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.4:1. There were 98 students (10.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 43 (4.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 98th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 154th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 133rd in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 172nd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 117th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 64th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 132 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (89.8%) and language arts literacy (97.6%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
- 1,020 White
- 27 Hispanic
- 6 Black
- 9 Asian/Pacific Islander
The Point Pleasant Borough High School Panthers compete in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore. All schools in this conference are located within Monmouth County and Ocean County, which operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 695 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as Central Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 498 to 750 students in that grade range.
The boys' baseball team won the Central Jersey Group I state title in 1966.
The football team has won the South Jersey Group II state sectional championship in 1977, 1978 and 2005. The team won the 2005 title with a 43-0 win over Camden High School, finishing the season with a record of 12-0.
Core members of the school's administration include:
- Kurt Karcich, Principal
- Ed Kenney, Assistant Principal
- Jacquelyn Zamarra, Assistant Principal
In October 2007, a female on the soccer team was diagnosed with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). The school, one of several in the area to experience these infections, was reopened after classrooms and other portions of the school were infected.
- Andrew R. Ciesla (born 1953), Member of the New Jersey Senate who represented the 10th Legislative District.
- Elizabeth Derosa (born 1983), Broadway actress, who has been an understudy for the title role in the Broadway production Mary Poppins.
- Kurt Pellegrino (born 1979), mixed martial arts fighter.
- Christie Rampone (born 1975), USA soccer player. As a senior, she became the first person to lead the Shore Conference in scoring in soccer, basketball and field hockey.
- Page Falkinburg (born 1956), former professional wrestler and actor under the name Diamond Dallas Page.
- Soraya (1969-2006), singer/songwriter.
- School data for Point Pleasant Borough High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Point Pleasant Borough High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 5, 2016.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 9, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 27, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed February 27, 2012.
- Member Schools, Shore Conference. Accessed August 13, 2017.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 5, 2016.
- NJSIAA 2015 Soccer Championship Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 5, 2016.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- Point Pleasant Boro vs. Camden, Maxpreps.com. Accessed February 12, 2008.
- NJSIAA Group Basketball Past Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 5, 2016.
- 2007 Team Wrestling Tournament - South, Group II, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 24, 2007.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 5, 2016.
- Main Office Staff, Point Pleasant Borough High School, Accessed April 5, 2016.
- More MRSA Cases Reported at Area Schools, WPVI, October 19, 2007. Accessed October 19, 2007. "In South Jersey, Point Pleasant Boro High School is open after buildings were disinfected because a student has been diagnosed with a drug-resistant bacteria infection. On the district's Web site, school officials say the student, who is not identified, is receiving treatment for MRSA.
- Senator Andrew Ciesla biography Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine., accessed April 10, 2007.
- DiStephan, Denise. "Playing Broadway's Mary Poppins is a Spoonful of Sugar for Point Pleasant Borough Native: Elizabeth DeRosa on a jolly holiday as an ensemble cast member and Mary understudy" Archived 2013-01-31 at Archive.is, PointPleasantPatch, March 12, 2011. Accessed July 14, 2012. "Elizabeth DeRosa waited anxiously in the wings to send her dreams soaring. The Point Pleasant Borough High School graduate listened for her cue as her fellow actors performed Mary Poppins on a Broadway stage."
- Staff. "Sports Shorts: Edgar drops 1st MMA fight", Asbury Park Press, April 4, 2008. Accessed February 27, 2011. "Also on that same card Kurt Pellegrino, a former Point Pleasant Boro High School wrestling star, was defeated by a submission choke hold by Nate Diaz in a 155-pound fight."
- Christie Rampone profile, United States Olympic Committee. Accessed March 22, 2007
- Christie Rampone player profile, Women's United Soccer Association. Accessed March 22, 2007
- "Diamond Dallas Page" by Ross Davies, p. 22. "By twelfth grade, he was starting every game for the Point Pleasant Boro High School team."
- Zedalis, Joe. "Soraya stood out at Point Borough and around world", Asbury Park Press, May 14, 2006. Accessed February 27, 2011. "The Point Pleasant Borough High School graduate and Latin Grammy Award winner whose fight against breast cancer raised awareness about the disease in the Latino community died Wednesday in Miami said a spokeswoman for her record label EMI Latin said...."