Point Prim Light Station
Prince Edward Island
|Year first constructed||1845|
|Tower shape||cyilindrical tower with balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern||white tower, red lantern and balcony|
|Tower height||18.5 metres (61 ft)|
|Focal height||21 metres (69 ft)|
|Range||18 nautical mile|
|Characteristic||FI W 5s|
|CHS number||CCG 983|
|Managing agent||Point Prim Lighthouse|
|Heritage||classified federal heritage building of Canada, designated heritage place, heritage lighthouse|
|Type||Designated Heritage Place|
The lighthouse itself is 18.5 metres (60.7 feet) tall when measured from its foundation to the weathervane. It is made of brick and is circular—one of only two so constructed this way in Canada. The other is called Fisgard Lighthouse and is located in British Columbia.
There is a keeper's cottage situated to the southeast of the tower. It measures 19.5 metres (34 feet) by 4 metres (14 feet). Due to the small size of the cottage, the keeper normally lived in it alone. In the summer, however, his family would often come and stay with him.
There have been 13 keepers since it was lit.
- John Ings (1841–1854)
- Ewen McLeod (1854–1857)
- Finlay McDonald (1857–1867)
- Simon Murchinson (1867–1870)
- Finlay MacDonald (1870–1872)
- Alex John MacRae (1872–1873)
- Michael McLeod (1873–1897)
- Donald Gillis (1897–1909)
- Alex John McRae (1909–1912)
- Simon A. McLean (1912–1920)
- Angus Alexander Murchison (1920–1955)
- Norman Ross Gillis (1955–1956)
- Manson D. Murchison (1956–1969)
The Point Prim Lighthouse is owned and operated by the Point Prim Lighthouse Society, a non profit community organization run by a group of dedicated volunteers of the Point Prim area. All admissions and sales are used solely for the maintenance and upkeep of the Lighthouse and the site.
Point Prim Light Station is open every day (10am-6pm) from late June to early September. The grounds are always open. Visitors can access the tower in season, by paying admission.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Canada: Eastern Prince Edward Island". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- "Point Prim lighthouse". Prince Edward Island Register of Historic Places. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Point Prim Lighthouse, Prince Edward Island Canada at Lighthousefriends.com". lighthousefriends.com. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Point Prim Light Station.|
|This Prince Edward Island lighthouse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|