The Point Village (Irish: Iosta na Rinne) is a "city quarter" in the North Wall area of Dublin, Ireland. The €800 million development was originally planned to feature a shopping centre, a cinema complex, a museum, offices and a hotel plus a five-storey underground car park. The hotel, car park and cinema opened and remain open. Due to the economic downturn, the planned shopping centre element was delayed. The development ran into a number of problems and was taken over by NAMA in April 2013.
- The 3Arena (formerly the O2 concert venue) opened in December 2008, built on the site of the former Point Theatre, a music venue which operated from 1988 to 2007. Following its closure, the site underwent major redevelopment and was renamed after O2 phone company. In September 2014, the music venue was renamed 3Arena.
- Beside the music venue is the Gibson Hotel, opened in June 2010 and including nine suites, with access to terrace gardens. It also includes a spa, gymnasium, two outdoor hot-tubs and large conference facilities.
- The Point Village Market was the city's largest outdoor weekend market, held at the Point Village Square. It was open from May to November 2010.
- The Revolver, a €10m "observation wheel", operated in the centre of Point Village Square from July 2010 until November 2011.
- There were plans to build a 120-metre skyscraper (called the "Point Village Watchtower"), which would have included apartments, office space, a miniature TV and radio studio, and rooftop bar and restaurant with panoramic views over Dublin Bay. Although the developer invested circa €15 in underground works, the project was abandoned due to the difficult economic climate faced by the developer.
The terminus of the docklands extension of the Luas light rail system is located in the middle of the development. This Luas link connects the Point Village to other transport options, including the DART, suburban rail, Busáras, mainline rail, and the future Dublin Metro. The Dublin Port Tunnel southern portal is also located nearby.
|Preceding station||Luas||Following station|
- "Point Village / Watchtower". DDDA. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Point Village Market to open today at Docklands". Irish Times. 2010-05-05. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "NAMA takes control of Bord Gáis Energy Theatre and Point Village". RTÉ News. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "Facebook tops list of Dublin office deals. Here’s the full top 10". thejournal.ie. 2014-02-17.
- Carroll, Jim. "Meet the new venue on the block – The O2". Irish Times. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Live Nation's Point Theater in Dublin to Be Renamed The O2". Reuters. 2008-07-07. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- Pattison, Brymor (2014-04-09). "Pictured: The O2 in Dublin is renamed as the 3Arena". Irish Mirror. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- "Choice to open Gibson Hotel in Docklands next month". Irish Times. 2010-05-05. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- Point Village Market Archived 2012-11-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- Bray, Allison (2010-02-13). "Point Village sets wheels in motion for its big attractions". Irish Independent. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Dunnes settle Point row with Crosbie". Business World. Archived from the original on 2011-06-14. Retrieved 2010-07-15.