|• Mayor (2001–2008)||Jacky Petigny|
|Area1||11.66 km2 (4.50 sq mi)|
|• Density||200/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||80630 / 80290|
|Elevation||94–190 m (308–623 ft)
(avg. 106 m or 348 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The commune is situated at the junction of the N1 and N29 roads, some 20 miles (32 km) southwest of Amiens, at the bottom of a rather steep-sided valley, confined by Normandy to the south and Picardie to the north. The commune has rail access, linking with the Rouen / Amiens network via the TER.
|Starting in 1962: Population without duplicates|
Places of interest
- The sixteenth century church of Saint-Denis’ priory. In flamboyant Gothic style, the base of the tower dates from the twelfth century. Before becoming the parish church, it was the chapel of the château.
- Military cemetery. Containing the graves of 149 Second World War Commonwealth aircrew.
The Tyrrel, or Tirel family were Lords of Poix from the twelfth to the fifteenth century. The most famous member of this family was Walter Tirel, who killed King William Rufus of England, son of William the Conqueror; whether it was an accident or an assassination has never been established. Walter's grandson Hugh Tyrrel, baron of Castleknock, played a prominent role in the Norman Conquest of Ireland and in the Third Crusade.
The railway viaduct, under repair after destruction during World War I
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Poix-de-Picardie.|
- CWGC - Commonwealth War Graves Commission pages (English)
- Tourist Office of Poix (French)
- Fiche Station Verte de Poix-de-Picardie (French)
- Poix-de-Picardie on the Quid website (French)
|This Somme geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This World War II article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|